Up to $50,000 for your great ideas for Wisconsin Avenue
Gallery: Wisconsin Avenue ideas needed
Wisconsin Avenue in Downtown Milwaukee has become a bit of a punching bag. As the main artery through the state's biggest city, it should be much "nicer" than it is. I agree. Reality is, though, that it's not as bad as many proclaim it to be. And, groups like Milwaukee Downtown, East Town, Westown and – of course – the City have improved the avenue in the past several years.
But daily focus on design matters and a little bit more attention to details along the Avenue will help. To this end, ART Milwaukee, Newaukee and other civic groups want to continue to transform how people perceive Wisconsin Avenue. And there's a $50,000 fund to help bring your awesome ideas to life.
That's right. Stop complaining and be a part of the solution.
You have ideas, and Milwaukee wants them. And even if your idea isn't a winning one ART Milwaukee and Newaukee will help you find a team of local artists that can make your vision become a reality.
So what does a good placemaking idea for Wisconsin Avenue involve?
Here are a few of our thoughts from Jeremy Fojut, one of the architects of the initiative.
- Ideas for more creative bike racks
- Light and sound activations of skywalks and/or on the street
- Creative ideas to activate alleys
- New bus stop designs
- More walkable sidewalks and crosswalks
- Parking spot parklets
- Space activation through performing arts
- New trash receptacle that encourage usage
- Parking lots into parks
- Art installations that incorporate the trees, flower pots, public space, medians, street signage
- Art that encourages safety
- Programming that generates foot traffic with a focus on local business
- Art installations that create connections from crossing streets that lead you to Wisconsin Avenue
- Ideas that involved social furniture on the avenue
- Ideas that activate space
- Ideas encourage sense of place
- Ideas that connect the avenue to other places
When you submit your idea think about this question: "How can we make Wisconsin Avenue feel more like home?" Up to four of the best ideas submitted will receive funding and support to come to life along the avenue.
Creational Trails: A Placemaking Experience in Milwaukee is a project by the Greater Milwaukee Committee, ART Milwaukee and beINtween.
Put a movie theater downtown and fix up the old builds. also the potholes got to go.
No neighborhoods exist around Wisconsin Avenue and with out the flow of people. Your left with an empty street. I suggest closing down some parts of Wisconsin Ave. like they do in the thirdward on Broadway and Buffalo. There is also a lot of empty office space along the Northside of Plankinton and Second, can't the city give some incentives to these real estate operators to convert these buildings into something use able. This may be off topic but MPS plays a big part as long as their percieved as dysfunctional and making shady deals on building like Malcolm X than parents will put their kids in suburban schools and are less likely to contribute to downtowns success.
3 comments about this article.
Post a comment / write a review.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.