It's funny how a blog can grow out of a random thought.
Watching and rooting for Brett Favre to toss up a game losing interception Sunday, I asked myself if ol' No. 4 is Wisconsin's all-time sports villain?
In reality, he's probably not. Many athletes have done much worse, and talking about the subject on my weekly radio segment on 96.5 WKLH, the list grew and grew ... and got better and better.
With help from Dave, Carole and KB, as well as their passionate listeners, here are a few of the worst offenders -- and why. I'd love to hear your additions via the Talkback feature below:
- Packers' backup quarterback T.J. Rubley for the worst performance in the history of all backup quarterbacks in 1995 against the Vikings
- Brewers pitcher Julio Machado, for murdering a woman after a car accident in Venezuela
- The Bucks' Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, for punching Kent Benson and calling Milwaukee a "cow town" to get traded
- NBA guard/forward Latrell Sprewell, for choking his coach, running his boat aground and various other "party fouls" in and around town
- The Brewers' Gary Sheffield for threatening to commit errors until he got traded
- Bill Bartholomay, the guy who moved the Braves to Atlanta
- Packers backup quarterback Jim McMahon for wearing a Bears jersey to the White House photo shoot after the Packers won the Super Bowl in 1997
- Tony Mandarich, Terrell Buckley, Antone Williamson, Tractor Traylor and Ned Yost, all for sucking
- The Badgers' Don Morton, the coach brought the "Veer" offense to Wisconsin
- Packers' Mark Chmura, for allegedly doing some pretty bad things at a prom party
- Packers' Javon Walker and Mike McKenzie, for demanding trades in "spoiled brat" fashion
- Pirates' Randall Simon, for whacking our wiener
- White Sox outfielder Tony Phillips, for going behind the County Stadium bleachers to fight a heckler
Truth, Paul Molitor stayed eight years past his bad off the field behavior so that had nothing to do with him leaving; it was all financial. I want to pick Herb Kohl for meddling but reality is that the Bucks would be gone without him and the Kohl Center wouldn't exist so begrudingly admit that he is more of a hero than a villain. I guess my choice is Gary Sheffield; biggest jerk to ever wear Brewers uniform and a guy who openly admitted that he didn't try his best.
And how about Gary "I never wanted to be in Milwaukee in the first place" Payton? I hear he bolted straight for the airport after his last Bucks gane here.
I was at that Bucks game and in some ways Benson had it coming, threw a wicked cheap shot elbow right before he got punched. I argued with a friend last weekend that Jabbar knocking out Benson may have directly doomed the Bucks for a decade after. If Benson doesn't get stuck (which pretty much ended his career), the Bucks would have had a force in the middle for the next 10+ years. In the end, they trade Benson to Detroit and get Lanier and his bad knees. If Bensons fulfills potential, the team would've had all the pieces to make several runs at the title from 1980-1985. By the way, the video of that punch is on You Tube.
Show me the other 12 Talkbacks
17 comments about this article.
Post your comment/review now
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.
Recent Articles & Blogs by Andy Tarnoff
Published Feb. 3, 2016
I didn't even see the first "Making a Murderer" piece our columnist Jessica McBride submitted to us over the holidays last month. I only took notice when our site traffic jumped through the roof the Monday after New Year' Eve. It was time to publish our first OnMilwaukee book. "Rush To Judgment" came together in what I assume is a record time.
Published Jan. 26, 2016
Just kidding. Do read this. But we're not kidding about Unplugged Week. Sometimes you need to turn off that the phone, computer, tablet or TV for a little while. It's OK, and it's healthy.
Published Jan. 18, 2016
Back in October, in the middle of the night, I bought a Jawbone UP2 activity tracker for about $80. That fitness tracker purchase turned out to be a really wise Ambient buy: among other things I learned, it led me down the path to learning I suffer from moderate sleep apnea.
Published Jan. 11, 2016
OnMilwaukee columnist/reporter Jessica McBride will appear on Headline News' "Nancy Grace" show Wednesday night at 7 p.m., and ABC's "Nightline" as early as Tuesday at 11:35 p.m., to discuss recent developments in the "Making a Murderer" case.
Published Jan. 5, 2016
Peter Linton-Smith was a general assignment reporter for FOX-6 Milwaukee from 1999-2007, and with a heavy emphasis on state courts, he covered the Steven Avery murder trial extensively.
Published Dec. 31, 2015
I had to wait until the final day of 2015 to write this recap, because I had a feeling that the movie I saw yesterday ("Star Wars") would be on this list. Sure enough, it was. So here goes another highly subjective look back into the year that was.
Published Dec. 22, 2015
I went to Vegas with a plan, and that plan was to have no plan. I came here to get away from work, not to do more of it, like I usually do on "vacation." But that wasn't in the cards, for three reasons.
Published Dec. 17, 2015
Not everything sucked when we were kids. I know this because my daughter plays with a bunch of the toys my parents saved from my childhood. As the new "Star Wars" opens this weekend, I'm reminded that we grew up in the golden age of action figures. Before video games and technology turned them into something else.
Published Dec. 8, 2015
If the RNC finds itself in a position supporting the certifiably insane Donald Trump, it may spell the end of the Grand Old Party as we know it. The decisions it makes over the next six months will have ramifications to the conservative cause for years to come.
Published Nov. 25, 2015
Any time we see "Ryan Braun" trending on Twitter, we need to take a second look. Today, it's because he's in Milwaukee to take donations for the Hunger Task Force, but there are some new unsubstantiated trade rumors swirling around social media, too.