Downtown Milwaukee is the heart of Wisconsin. In celebration of OnMilwaukee.com's first 15 years, here are 15 things I think that you may not know about Downtown.
- It's home to a restaurant that's situated in a basement, Shah Jee's. And, it's great.
- It's easy to find parking and to park in Downtown. Easier than it often is at a busy Mayfair Mall.
- Milwaukee's most historic hotels are located in Downtown Milwaukee.
- There's a secret men's clothing store here.
- There are at least six day care/child care providers in greater Downtown.
- The skywalk system is the only one of its kind in America that spans a river.
- You can sit very comfortably now as you take photos of the Bronze Fonz.
- There's more live music than anywhere else in Wisconsin in Downtown Milwaukee.
- It's the corporate home to four Fortune 500 headquarters.
- It's 15th most walkable large city in the U.S., with a Walk Score of 61 out of 100. The East Town and Westown neighborhoods rank third and fifth, respectively, out of all of Milwaukee’s neighborhoods. (Walkscore.com, 2013)
- Between 2005 and early 2012, nearly $545 million in residential and/or mixed use development investment has occurred in Downtown. Much more is on the way, including big changes at the Lakefront.
- The median age of Downtown residents is 29.9 years old.
- It's home to one of the oldest farmers markets in the state, the Westown Farmer's Market on Wednesdays.
- While the trolley is done for the summer, it's only $1 to ride.
- Downtown Milwaukee doesn't have a McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC or any drive-through restaurants.
1 comment about this article.
Post your comment/review now
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.
Recent Articles & Blogs by Jeff Sherman
Published Oct. 17, 2016
Just in time for the approaching holiday season, Milwaukee-based Small Shops United has partnered with Hunger Task Force to promote its 2017 Exclusive Gift Pack. And since it's Dining Month here at OnMilwaukee, I thought I'd tell you a bit more.
Published Oct. 13, 2016
The savings and financial app world has plenty of room to grow, and Milwaukee-based startup Milo wants to make change happen with its soon to be released app. I caught up with one of the co-founders recently to find out more about Milo.
Published Oct. 12, 2016
This weekend, The Arts Page, with host Sandy Maxx, tells the story of Locamoji and shows how our team spearheaded by creative director Jason McDowell designs, develops and deploys the Locamojis. The episode is called "arts in a flash."
Published Oct. 1, 2016
Sojourner has partnered with MilwaukeeHome to create special edition, purple MilwaukeeHome T-shirts to help raise awareness about domestic violence and its impact on our community.
Published Sept. 29, 2016
Beginning today, all 125 McDonald's restaurants in Southeastern Wisconsin have expanded All Day Breakfast menu items to include McGriddles and Biscuit breakfast sandwiches.
Published Sept. 15, 2016
We are Marquette! U-rah-rah! Wisconsin! It's really no surprise that both Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison rank in the top 20 for "colleges with the most school spirit."
Published Sept. 8, 2016
This weekend and next week you'll have the chance to casually explore the custom fit clothing world of J. Hilburn as the brand brings its fashions to Milwaukee via the #JHFitTour at three local destinations.
Published Sept. 2, 2016
The Milwaukee Public Market will encourage people to "pet their whistle" as it helps raise money for the Wisconsin Humane Society this weekend.
Published Sept. 1, 2016
Milwaukee visionary and philanthropist, Michael Cudahy, has lost his swans and needs help locating them.
Published Aug. 29, 2016
This story isn't new, but I just heard about it. And it actually never mentions a "Milwaukee" chicken - but the chicken in question just happens to be Milwaukee native and current Milwaukee Brewers skipper, Craig Counsell.