Downtown Milwaukee is the heart of Wisconsin. In celebration of OnMilwaukee.com's first 15 years, here are 15 things I think that you may not know about Downtown.
- It's home to a restaurant that's situated in a basement, Shah Jee's. And, it's great.
- It's easy to find parking and to park in Downtown. Easier than it often is at a busy Mayfair Mall.
- Milwaukee's most historic hotels are located in Downtown Milwaukee.
- There's a secret men's clothing store here.
- There are at least six day care/child care providers in greater Downtown.
- The skywalk system is the only one of its kind in America that spans a river.
- You can sit very comfortably now as you take photos of the Bronze Fonz.
- There's more live music than anywhere else in Wisconsin in Downtown Milwaukee.
- It's the corporate home to four Fortune 500 headquarters.
- It's 15th most walkable large city in the U.S., with a Walk Score of 61 out of 100. The East Town and Westown neighborhoods rank third and fifth, respectively, out of all of Milwaukee’s neighborhoods. (Walkscore.com, 2013)
- Between 2005 and early 2012, nearly $545 million in residential and/or mixed use development investment has occurred in Downtown. Much more is on the way, including big changes at the Lakefront.
- The median age of Downtown residents is 29.9 years old.
- It's home to one of the oldest farmers markets in the state, the Westown Farmer's Market on Wednesdays.
- While the trolley is done for the summer, it's only $1 to ride.
- Downtown Milwaukee doesn't have a McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC or any drive-through restaurants.
1 comment about this article.
Post your comment/review now
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.
Recent Articles & Blogs by Jeff Sherman
Published April 10, 2015
Frost Williams from VISIT Milwaukee went to last night's Neil Diamond concert at the BMO Harris Bradley Center. Here's five observations and a full list set.
Published April 6, 2015
George Webb Restaurants once again predicts that the Milwaukee Brewers will win 12 games in a row this season. When it happens, free burgers for everyone.
Published April 4, 2015
The April 3rd Travel Section on Washingtonpost.com includes the feature story titled "Venturing beyond the beer and brats in Milwaukee."
Published April 2, 2015
While I do my best to live my life with faith, family and friends in first place I think I've "discovered" the two "things" that truly bind us all. Sports and music.
Published March 30, 2015
Eco-friendly small homes are making headway into media, TV shows and larger and larger cities. New York has a micro apartment program and Chicago is poised to build on the trend in Logan Square.
Published March 26, 2015
Courtesy of our friends at the Hunger Task Force, we have a meet and greet opportunity for you. Just read on to bid on a chance to win two great seats for Hunt's show on April 4 at The Rave and you'll also score a meet and greet with this rising country star.
Published March 21, 2015
This interview was a real treat. It was an opportunity for me to sit down with not only a former boss, Joe Sweeney, but a friend, adviser and mentor who's helped motivate, guide and inspire me.
Published March 9, 2015
Verlo and its recently-renovated flagship store at 6501 W. Layton Ave. wants to change how your shop for sleep. The Milwaukee-maker of mattresses isn't alone in wanting to solve our sleep challenges or change our minds about what we want and need in a mattress. It is, though, unique in its transparent, modern and comfortable approach.
Published March 3, 2015
Dwight Hopfauf is a former Milwaukee resident and the former assistant general manger at Milwaukee's Hilton City Center in Downtown. These days he's basking in "The Bachelor" limelight at Hotel Julien Dubuque.
Published Feb. 27, 2015
The Celebrities section of GQ (digital and print in March) features a story with Swedish Canadian actress Malin Akerman. The photos showcase the actress with the Bucks Giannis Antetokounmpo.