Downtown Milwaukee is the heart of Wisconsin. In celebration of OnMilwaukee.com's first 15 years, here are 15 things I think that you may not know about Downtown.
- It's home to a restaurant that's situated in a basement, Shah Jee's. And, it's great.
- It's easy to find parking and to park in Downtown. Easier than it often is at a busy Mayfair Mall.
- Milwaukee's most historic hotels are located in Downtown Milwaukee.
- There's a secret men's clothing store here.
- There are at least six day care/child care providers in greater Downtown.
- The skywalk system is the only one of its kind in America that spans a river.
- You can sit very comfortably now as you take photos of the Bronze Fonz.
- There's more live music than anywhere else in Wisconsin in Downtown Milwaukee.
- It's the corporate home to four Fortune 500 headquarters.
- It's 15th most walkable large city in the U.S., with a Walk Score of 61 out of 100. The East Town and Westown neighborhoods rank third and fifth, respectively, out of all of Milwaukee’s neighborhoods. (Walkscore.com, 2013)
- Between 2005 and early 2012, nearly $545 million in residential and/or mixed use development investment has occurred in Downtown. Much more is on the way, including big changes at the Lakefront.
- The median age of Downtown residents is 29.9 years old.
- It's home to one of the oldest farmers markets in the state, the Westown Farmer's Market on Wednesdays.
- While the trolley is done for the summer, it's only $1 to ride.
- Downtown Milwaukee doesn't have a McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC or any drive-through restaurants.
1 comment about this article.
Post your comment/review now
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.
Recent Articles & Blogs by Jeff Sherman
Published Feb. 27, 2015
The Celebrities section of GQ (digital and print in March) features a story with Swedish Canadian actress Malin Akerman. The photos showcase the actress with the Bucks Giannis Antetokounmpo.
Published Feb. 24, 2015
The first phase of construction officially begins today on an 85,000-square foot, two-level flagship Roundy's Metro Market in the Village of Shorewood. Completion is estimated for January 2016.
Published Feb. 23, 2015
Out for a few beers. Boom. Killed a young woman, and the driver's off to jail. It's a sad story that should have an impact.
Published Feb. 18, 2015
Cold doesn't bother us. We wear hats. And, these days, Bucks hats seem to be everywhere,
Published Feb. 12, 2015
Amazon Prime's "Mozart in the Jungle" is the exact reason why today's news from the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra announcing that music director Edo de Waart will step down is so very interesting.
Published Feb. 10, 2015
A new, international and insanely cool bars list includes a Milwaukee favorite. And, it's one of only three U.S. stops on the list.
Published Feb. 9, 2015
Recently, Kloiber Jewelers joined the OnMilwaukee.com ShopLocal marketplace, and since it's Valentine's Day week I thought you might be interested a few of this 90-year-old Milwaukee retailer's wares.
Published Feb. 7, 2015
Danish bus company Midttrafik hired M2Film to make its set of "Epic" ad spots.
Published Feb. 5, 2015
Ten years ago, as someone recently reminded me, I wrote a piece for The Business Journal titled, "Milwaukee business must 'push the envelope'." It was our way, via YPM (Young Professionals of Milwaukee, now Fuel Milwaukee) and OnMilwaukee.com, to help champion change, innovation, creativity and causes. It's still relevant today.
Published Feb. 4, 2015
VISIT Milwaukee has released the fifth installment in its tourism video series, with a film featuring beer and brewing.