Downtown Milwaukee is the heart of Wisconsin.Â In celebration of OnMilwaukee.com's first 15 years, here are 15 things I think that you may not know about Downtown.Â
- It's home to a restaurant that's situated in a basement, Shah Jee's.Â And, it's great. Â
- It's easy to find parking and to park in Downtown.Â Easier than it often is at a busy Mayfair Mall.
- Milwaukee's most historic hotels are located in Downtown Milwaukee.
- There's a secret men's clothing store here.
- There are at least six day care/child care providers in greater Downtown. Â
- The skywalk system is the only one of its kind in America that spans a river. Â
- You can sit very comfortably now as you take photos of the Bronze Fonz.
- There's more live music than anywhere else in Wisconsin in Downtown Milwaukee.
- It's the corporate home to four Fortune 500 headquarters.
- It's 15th most walkable large city in the U.S., with a Walk Score of 61 out of 100. The East Town and Westown neighborhoods rank third and fifth, respectively, out of all of Milwaukeeâ€™s neighborhoods. (Walkscore.com, 2013)
- Between 2005 and early 2012, nearly $545 million in residential and/or mixed use development investment has occurred in Downtown.Â Much more is on the way, including big changes at the Lakefront.Â
- The median age of Downtown residents is 29.9 years old.
- It's home to one of the oldest farmers markets in the state, the Westown Farmer's Market on Wednesdays.
- While the trolley is done for the summer, it's only $1 to ride.Â
- Downtown Milwaukee doesn't have a McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC or any drive-through restaurants.Â
1 comment about this article.
Post your comment/review now
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.
Recent Articles & Blogs by Jeff Sherman
Published July 24, 2016
Agents and their families flock to Milwaukee every year this week, and each year I love the buzz that's created by adding 11,000 visitors to Downtown Milwaukee. As a community, we need to champion the corporations that choose Milwaukee as their home, so thanks NM!
Published July 15, 2016
Curious minds want to know who is behind a regular bakery bonanza in Downtown Milwaukee. Several residents in the neighborhood tell me that streets and bridges are consistently laced with multiple bakery items several times per week.
Published July 12, 2016
There's something missing this week: the energy, buzz and excitement that only Summerfest brings. As the state's economic and entertainment center, Milwaukee gets most of the love, but with healthy arteries and suburbs, everyone wins when Summerfest shines.
Published July 2, 2016
Sure, he played the exact same encore as he did the last time he was in Milwaukee. But on this near perfect Summerfest night, Blake Shelton was different - different in that he's now a much bigger star, which he used to his advantage Friday night.
Published June 28, 2016
The fest that made Milwaukee famous, Summerfest is here. Jeff Sherman loves it. It means energy, 50-90,000 new people Downtown every day, good music, food and more. It's great, and it gets better every year. Here are his music picks.
Published June 23, 2016
Check out the latest podcast from Bill Simmons featuring Jimmy Butler - and, germane to us here, including several Marquette and Milwaukee mentions. In fact, Butler says several times "I love Milwaukee," citing his days and degree at Marquette.
Published June 21, 2016
Former Milwaukee Bucks guard Ray Allen and his wife have opened one of the country's first all-organic "fast food" restaurants in Miami. Called Grown, it's getting rave reviews on Facebook, and, from the photos I've seen, I want to eat there right now.
Published June 11, 2016
We're a few months in, so here are six things I'd change about the Milwaukee area's newest Metro Market store, on Oakland Avenue in Shorewood. The better you are, Metro Market, the more of our money you'll get!
Published June 7, 2016
There's growth everywhere in Downtown Milwaukee, but still opportunities and eyesores. For me, these four spaces have been vacant for too long. I see them all nearly everyday. Let's all chime in and help the owners or leasing agents find the right new tenant.
Published May 25, 2016
The "Best Bars in America" feature has been around since 2006. And - of course - a lot has changed on the drinking scene here and in every city in America. One change, no Milwaukee bars appear on this year's list.