We all have different people that we'd place on our "most important people in Milwaukee" lists. I have several that I'd put on mine, but I need a bit more time to flesh out a full list like the one that Dave Begel recently compiled.
Dave's list, of course, was well read, shared and discussed. It also led to others creating similar lists. One came from Alex Runner. Via Facebook, Runner, a former aid to Ald. Willie Hines, current blogger and civic leader, posted his take on the list. I asked him if we could share it, so here it is.
"In response to OnMilwaukee.com's Dave Begel's list of Milwaukee's 14 Most Important People, here is mine:
- Walnut Way founder Sharon Adams
- Fix Development CEO Juli Kaufmann
- City Clerk Jim Owczarski, who really runs the city council
- Ghassan Korban, who literally oversees the foundation and infrastructure of Milwaukee
- Bay View native and world-class developer Gary Grunau
- Vangard Development chief Kalan Haywood
- Judge Derek Mosley -- OK, Dave got that right
- Jennifer Gonda, who fights for our city in Madison, day-in and day-out on behalf of the mayor
- Fondy Food Center genius Young Kim
- Martin Drive neighborhood creator Pat Mueller
- Gina Bianchi and all MPS principals who shape and strengthen outstanding public school cultures
- Pastor Walter Harvey, for feeding the soul of Milwaukee
- Riverside University High School alumni and aldermanic leaders Nik Kovac and Milele A. Coggs (tied)
- Avenues West Executive Director Keith Stanley"
So, that's Alex Runner's list. Who is on your Milwaukee list?
No Talkbacks for this article.
Post your comment/review now
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.
Recent Articles & Blogs by Jeff Sherman
Published July 5, 2015
I wanted my garage stuff accessible for and my family and needed to maximize the walls to provide more storage. This is exactly what Monkey Bar did.
Published June 30, 2015
Recently Thrillist released its ranking of all the States in these United States of America. Called "The Definitive and Final Ranking of All 50 States," it places Wisconsin in some great company.
Published June 29, 2015
The Zac Brown Band may be the closest to a true definition of a current day Summerfest mainstay as you can get. Their cross genre approach has wide appeal and while firmly anchored in their traditions and heritage the band is constantly evolving, taking risks and adding sounds, personality and styles.
Published June 27, 2015
After the show, my wife simply said that it was just "honest and real." That's what the show was. Urban and his band even stayed on stage afterwards shaking hands, slapping high fives and thanking the Wisconsin fans.
Published June 21, 2015
My Dad's finally out of the hospital after nearly 10 weeks and he's on a solid road to full recovery. But, needless to say this Father's Day means a bit more. It always should, though. For all of us. A simple reaction from my daughter truly helped me see this.
Published June 20, 2015
Summerfest has something for everyone. Yet, there's no doubt the country is king and that its artists and music make Summerfest bigger and better each year. It also makes OnMilwaukee.com's Jeff Sherman smile.
Published June 17, 2015
Who is with me? Downtown Milwaukee needs a Kopp's Frozen Custard.
Published June 16, 2015
Saying "Happy Birthday" is fun and it's super easy via Facebook. Plus, it's nearly impossible to not do.
Published June 12, 2015
ABC will screen its new fall shows including 'The Muppets' early this summer via a mobile theater tour. The tour includes a stop at Milwaukee's Summerfest.
Published June 11, 2015
A men's accessories shop has popped up on Broadway.