And purple, blue, green and a host of other eye-popping colors that often fall by the wayside when choosing a dress.
Why is it that we feel so safe in black? It's flattering, of course. But what does it say about you? It doesn't take Anna Wintour to toss on a black dress, pearls and heels. You can do better than that.
Spring and summer are a time for rebirth, and it's time for you to gain a fresh perspective about your personal style. Out with the old, in with the bold.
For the Spring 2009 fashion shows in New York City, designers showed a rainbow of colors paired with sleek jackets, bold jewelry and statement shoes.
When choosing a dress, keep the shape simple, like a basic shift that hugs your curves in all the right places. Then take a cue from the likes of Nanette Lepore, Lela Rose and Peter Som, and try one of these trends for a summer wedding or night out:
- Bright neon colors of pink, yellow, orange and green
- Textured, organic materials
- Sequins (more as a detail than a Solid Gold dancer, please)
- Color blocking in bold hues
- Bohemian-style prints
- Floral, floral and more floral
Using accessories to highlight your dress is a must to pull off this season's looks. Try these popular and chic choices for an instant update:
- Long, layered and chunky necklaces
- Oversize handbags in hot spring colors like turquoise and lavender
- Large, layered bangles
- Waist-cinching or relaxed, low-slung belts
- Shoes that command attention: lace-up flat and gladiator sandals; nude, round-toe platform pumps or brightly colored Gucci-inspired platform heels with extras like buckles and metallic trim.
For those chilly nights, please, toss the "wrap." (Side note: Wraps are as outdated as capri pants and Crocs.) Instead, opt for a fitted military-style jacket, menswear-inspired blazer or chic trench.
Get more ideas for summer fashion by checking out Fox 6 WakeUp News Thursday, May 14, at 8…Read more...