Why Idol Adam Lambert Is Brilliant
Think Freddie Mercury as lead singer of the Doors, but in the videos he's a male Britney Spears. Have I nailed Adam Lambert?!
I'm going to claim some expertise upfront here and tell you I held the very first Idol auditions here in Milwaukee as promotion manager for fox 6 even before Idol was a show. We did them in a barn at state fair, ask Kiss-FM. Then, I went to work for the Fox Network in LA and attened many an Idol taping.
So, this week, Adam Lambert nailed it for many reasons:
1) He's was never going to sing country. He took an iconic country song and gave it the "Nine Inch Nails" treatment and it worked for his style. It is already evident he has one; heavy on the drama. (Dolly Parton covered Collective Soul's "Shine" and it was a country hit.) And, if he knows Johnny Cash from seeing Joaquin Phoenix, that was played dark.
2) Which leads to - he's a great performer. He's already done stage. Can you tell? He can sing. He can dance. Check out youtube: adam lambert crazy
3) Despite what Simon said this week, he has called Adam out as a front-runner already in the media; I think Extra - the one with his girlfriend. And on this week's show, record producer and judge Randy Jackson noted his nine octive range on that song. And, note-perfect. You can do a lot with that voice. Clive Davis has done wonders with Kelly and Carrie.
3) Critics said the eastern/sitar sound music was weird music. Well, Adam's just upstaged Anoop Dawg with East Idian pop. Anyone here heard of Slumdog Millionaire? Or the song "Jai Ho" by 0 Rahman that right now is #2 on Kiss-FM. This is Idol's demographic. Score.
4) He's styled to the T. From the fingerless gloves, to the leather jacket, zipper-front jeans, black nail polish, guy-liner... he's put together. Pre-packaged you might say. He's the BAD Jonas Brother.
5) The guy made the Idol tour tonight. Adam gets to perform and he's going to put everyone, save Danny Gokey, to shame.
Danny has great energy and he's all-american. Danny's more American Idol than anyone there and talented, but mark my words... you keep you're eye-liner on Lambert!