15lbs...3weeks, Day 7
After yesterday’s rest I was back in the game today and hit the ground running. Woke up this morning to attend a 90min Bikram Yoga class. I love Bikram Yoga because it gives me a chance to meditate. In today’s hectic world and fast paced lifestyle meditation keeps me sane. It takes practice, but once you get good at it you can quiet your mind. How many times have you had a restless night because your mind was racing? Or had difficulty completing a project because you couldn’t focus? Being able to shut off the endless, internal chatter means increased clarity and a good night’s sleep.
At the end of the day I went to the gym to get in a lifting session. Today’s workout again consisted of 4 supersets with 15 repetitions:
- Bench Press & Wide Grip Pulldown
- Incline Chest Press & Cable Row
- Standing Pulley Fly to hit the lower Pecs & Straight Arm Pulldown
- Supine Dumbell Pullovers
- Finished with 30 minutes on the treadmill. I kept the speed steady at 4.0 but used the incline to increase my heart rate. I varied the incline between 7.0-15.0 and kept my hands off the rail. I see so many people at the gym holding onto the railing. Unless you’re old and you came in with a walker, GET YOUR HANDS OFF THE RAIL!
When doing an end of the day lifting and cardio session, hit the weights then do the cardio. You want to use your glycogen stores (stored Carbohydrates/energy) for lifting when you will be strong enough to throw around some heavy weight.
- 1/4cup oatmeal with cinnamon and 1/3 banana, Whey Protein Shake
- 12 almonds, 1 apple
- 4oz Chicken, 1/4 cup brown rice
- 2 rice cakes, 1 tbsp of Natural Peanut Butter
- 4oz chicken, 1/2 Brown Rice
- Casein and Whey Protein shake, 1 rice cake
*I combined the Casein and Whey because this is both a post workout shake and end of the day shake. The whey will digest fast and aide in post workout muscle recovery, but I still want the slow digesting casein since it is the end of the day. I also had a rice cake with the shake. The simple carbohydrates from the rice cake will also aide in post workout recovery.
About the author: Terra Cardwell earned a bachelors in Kinesiology from UWM, ISSA Certified in Sports Nutrition and ACSM Certified personal trainer. To submit a question for future articles, please contact the author at email@example.com