5 Bands That You Don't Know That You Have To See This Fall
With summer coming to an end the Milwaukee music scene moves out of it's "Summer camp" mode (a lot of run of the mill cover bands playing in tents) and back to it's regular session. Just like the beginning of the school year there should always be something new (or at least new to you) to look forward to and here it is, 5 bands that are must see's for this fall, some you may know of some you may never heard of but all are worth taking the time to go out and see, and without further ado....................
- Midnight Reruns - Probably the youngest of the bands listed here but their hearts are buried in the old school and brought up to date by their age. A combination of nostalgia and youth form a sound that is loud crunchy and tuneful. The band makes no excuses for their adoration of Thin Lizzy and The Replacements because no excuse is needed. I've seen them at Linnemans a couple of times and each time they get that much better and that much more professional. With Graham Hunt's - Westerberg Jr. personna this is a band that has the ability to make it much bigger than just Milwaukee.
- Lack of Reason - Probably the oldest band on the list, these Milwaukee music scene vets have been together for a little more than a year and completely bring the rock. Catchy songs with big hooks and plenty of volume make their shows required listening for any Milwaukee music fan. The band consists of members of FSFI, Chop Top Toronados and The Mandates, these are all bands I was a fan of during their Hey days but the chemistry here is bigger and bolder than any of those bands. O'Neill shares the vocal duties with Mark E. Lee. I saw them in the early spring and thought they were great, I went back to see them a week ago to see if I was right and they were even better.
- IfIHadAHiFi - This band has been around a bit longer than the first 2 bands mentioned and have really built a solid reputation by putting on consistantly awesome shows. They are probably well known enough to not make this list but I am dumbfounded by the fact this isn't one of the biggest bands in Milwaukee, and that their shows aren't consistantly sold out. Pop with crunch, lot's of crunch, is what stands out about this band get a chance to see them before it becomes a shoulder to shoulder affair.
- Floor Model - Whether it is Mark or Tim on base this is what punk rock is all about. This band has definitely been around the longest of any band on this list and should be as big or bigger than any punk bands that have come out of Milwaukee. Take old school punk and mix it with poppy song writing and you have a recipe for great music. Jeff Kalison has a pretty deep catalog by now of sparking punk gems and is able to show them off everytime they play. No band has converted more fans after a show than Floor Model, come out and see why.
- The Revenge Society - To be honest I have a bias for TRS after seeing them play with Lack of Reason a couple of times. I don't know if my description will do them justice but here it goes, take Dinosaur Jr, the Minute Men, Big Black and Mission of Burma put it in a blender and turn it up to 11 then pour it all over Martha Cannons vocals and you have The Revenge Society. Trying to compare them to anyone else is senseless they have a unique sound that is there own and works incredibly well. Probably the loudest band on the list but don't let that scare you, there's a reason people are starting to talk about them.
There you have it the 5 bands you need to see this fall to be a well round fan of the Milwaukee music scene, I'm sure I have left off some bands that deserve to be here but anything over 5 bands seems to be excesive and then where would I be when I put together my list of 5 bands you need to see this winter. The Milwaukee music scene can be rather fickle so see these bands while they are still catchable or still together.