There are a lot of rich, decadent foods at the fest, but there are certainly plenty of healthy edibles. They're not necessarily easy to find. So, we did the legwork (and the mouth-work) to track down five food items that will allow you to save your calories for beer or wine coolers. Mangia.
1. Corn-on-the-cob from Robbys. Skip the butter. Do not skip the toothpick.
2. Turkey asaparagus salad from Mader's. You can eat all of the lettuce you want and not feel a shred of guilt.
3. Koepsell's Popcorn. A filling, low-fat beer-soaker-upper.
4. Caprese salad from Mille's. $6 is a little steep for a dish that's primarily sliced tomatoes, but it was at least $5-worth-of-fresh.
5. Fresh fruit from Catalano's. Apples are debatable but everyone loves a plum. Don't they?
6. Oh, screw it. We all just really want the sampler platter from Saz's.
Molly Snyder started writing and publishing her work at the age 10, when her community newspaper printed her poem, "The Unicorn.” Since then, she's expanded beyond the subject of mythical creatures and written in many different mediums but, nearest and dearest to her heart, thousands of articles for OnMilwaukee.
Molly is a regular contributor to FOX6 News and numerous radio stations as well as the co-host of "Dandelions: A Podcast For Women.” She's received five Milwaukee Press Club Awards, served as the Pfister Narrator and is the Wisconsin State Fair’s Celebrity Cream Puff Eating Champion of 2019.