Do this: Taste of Wellspring dinner on the farm Aug. 26
We're on the cusp of the dog days of summer, and that means plentiful harvests and fresh, delicious produce.
But, the farmer's market isn't the only spot to get your fill of summer's bounty. In fact, you can do so while supporting the educational work of Wellspring – a certified organic teaching farm and non-profit educational organization just 35 minutes north of Milwaukee – during the upcoming Taste of Wellspring, an annual celebration and fundraising dinner held on the organization's picturesque farm.
"Taste of Wellspring is our way to celebrate the harvest," notes Mary Ann Ihm, who founded Wellspring in 1982. "We've been an educational organization for more than 35 years, and our main goal is to inspire people to learn more about gardening and farming and be inspired to grow their own food."
The event, which takes place at the Wellspring farm on Saturday, Aug. 26 from 5 to 8:30 p.m., will feature a cash bar, live music and an auction. Proceeds from the event will assist in sustaining the farm and its myriad educational programs.
Participating chefs include Dave Jurena of The Soup Market, Gregory Leon of Amilinda, Alex Harry of The Norbert (West Bend), Eric Fix of Out & Out Eatery and Catering (Cedarburg) and Stephanie Ulma of The Grasshopper Restaurant (West Bend).
The menu will include:
- A Wisconsin cheese tray featuring selections from Organic Valley and Widmer's Cheese
- Minestrone soup featuring farm-grown cabbage, carrots, green beans, summer squash and tomatoes -- Dave Jurena of The Soup Market
- Vegetable salad featuring carrots, fennel, kohlrabi and salad turnips – Gregory Leon of Amilinda
- Leafy green salad made by Wellspring
- Chicken and Rice featuring farm-grown broccoli, plum tomatoes, garlic and scallions – Alex
- Eggplant with cilantro and mint – Eric Fix, Out & Out Custard, Eatery and Catering
- Rhubarb bars – Stephanie Ulma, The Grasshopper Restaurant
- Purple Door Ice Cream
Gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan options are available.
Cost for the event is $75 per person if tickets are purchased on or before Aug. 15 and $90 if purchased Aug. 16 or later. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling (262) 675-6755.
For more information on the farm and event, visit wellspringinc.org.
Post a comment / write a review.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.