In Dining Blogs

Wisconsin's biggest pizza brings big smiles at Pizza Shuttle

Yesterday a friend was kind enough to treat several of us to Wisconsin's largest round pizza at Pizza Shuttle on Farwell Avenue. I don't really know why, something about a bunch of birthdays coming up, but I suppose it was just for any reason to celebrate.

Instead of settling on a couple of their delicious square pizzas or ordering by the slice, thankfully (can we get a veg-friendly pizza under those lamps besides cheese?), we pulled out all the stops and set our sites upon the pizza you could practically see from space, measuring 32 inches across and sporting a starting cost of $39.95! Imagine holding the hands of a friend and rounding out your elbows; the space between would equal the size of that pie!

We loaded half of it with pepperoni, and the other half with mushrooms and black olives, and waited with anticipation marveling when the make table worker climbed to the top of their racks to bring down the largest pan I'd ever seen.

When the pie arrived we were all shocked. Even though there is a full-sized cardboard display hanging above the registers its size when dropped on the table was enough to make our eyes widen and grins form on our face. We stared at it wondering, where do you start? Sure, it's as easy as grabbing a slice and plopping it on your plate, but looking over the surface area of the Italian beast was enough to confound us.

Before we could come to our senses, one of the clerks came back to inform us that, because we had made such a purchase and tipped so generously, they would throw in some free custard, as well!

That set the mood for a fun-filled evening, with lots of chatting, lots of laughing, and certainly lots of pizza. Even between the six of us we were only able to make it through about half the pizza (though some might consider that a great accomplishment) and we still had six pints of custard to work through as well!

During our meal we also got a nice look at the progress of the interior redesign; it seems to be expanding quite nicely, if a little slowly. Once completed, the seating area should fit just shy of twice as many people as before and the waiting area has been expanded, though perhaps un-ideally, to relieve the claustrophobia of ordering at the counter.

An experience at Pizza Shuttle can be a little iffy (usually depending on the time of night), but rarely is it ever terrible. In this case the service was outstanding and the other customers were pleasant, even wishing us all a happy birthday. It was obvious that night why Pizza Shuttle was ranked in the top 100 pizzerias in the nation.


Talkbacks

littletinyfish | Jan. 11, 2007 at 9:06 a.m. (report)

I haven't been to Zaffiro's yet, but I've been meaning to get down there. Maybe as a celebration of my next paycheck...

Rate this:
  • Average rating: 0.0
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

40% good | Jan. 10, 2007 at 11:02 p.m. (report)

Pizza Shuttle can be very good only about 40% of the time. The other 60%, the pizza is undercooked and sloppy. Last time the owner refused to honor a coupon because it was expired. I received the coupon because of a sloppy pizza. The cheese would laterally fall off the slice unless you sandwiched it together. Try Palermo Villa, Red Dot, and Zaffiro's for great pizza.

Rate this:
  • Average rating: 0.0
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

miss mox | Jan. 10, 2007 at 5:40 p.m. (report)

YUM! It reminds me of the giant pizzas we used to get at Tormina's Pizza in Detroit -- I believe they were about 32 inches across -- big enough that mom couldn't take the 80s-style Thunderbird to pick it up because it wouldn't fit in the car. :)

Rate this:
  • Average rating: 0.0
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
3 comments about this article.
Post a comment / write a review.

Facebook Comments

Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.

xqubaafxrctsrx