Downtown Milwaukee is the heart of Wisconsin. In celebration of OnMilwaukee.com's first 15 years, here are 15 things I think that you may not know about Downtown.
- It's home to a restaurant that's situated in a basement, Shah Jee's. And, it's great.
- It's easy to find parking and to park in Downtown. Easier than it often is at a busy Mayfair Mall.
- Milwaukee's most historic hotels are located in Downtown Milwaukee.
- There's a secret men's clothing store here.
- There are at least six day care/child care providers in greater Downtown.
- The skywalk system is the only one of its kind in America that spans a river.
- You can sit very comfortably now as you take photos of the Bronze Fonz.
- There's more live music than anywhere else in Wisconsin in Downtown Milwaukee.
- It's the corporate home to four Fortune 500 headquarters.
- It's 15th most walkable large city in the U.S., with a Walk Score of 61 out of 100. The East Town and Westown neighborhoods rank third and fifth, respectively, out of all of Milwaukee’s neighborhoods. (Walkscore.com, 2013)
- Between 2005 and early 2012, nearly $545 million in residential and/or mixed use development investment has occurred in Downtown. Much more is on the way, including big changes at the Lakefront.
- The median age of Downtown residents is 29.9 years old.
- It's home to one of the oldest farmers markets in the state, the Westown Farmer's Market on Wednesdays.
- While the trolley is done for the summer, it's only $1 to ride.
- Downtown Milwaukee doesn't have a McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, KFC or any drive-through restaurants.
1 comment about this article.
Post your comment/review now
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.
Recent Articles & Blogs by Jeff Sherman
Published July 24, 2017
Downtown Milwaukee continues to shine today as one of its main thoroughfares gets a new, fresh repaving.
Published July 17, 2017
Not familiar with Topgolf? These places are hot and exploding all over the country. With its development boon, Milwaukee seems prime for one. Even Giannis Antetokounmpo is tweeting about it.
Published July 10, 2017
Complain as you will about the crowds, construction and whatnot, but those things add to what our Downtown area has worked so hard to get: density, discovery and diversity. Let's explore these important traits as they related to the Big Gig.
Published June 27, 2017
The energy, the buzz, the excitement, the music! Here are OnMilwaukee co-founder and president Jeff Sherman's daily picks for Summerfest 50.
Published June 23, 2017
5 a.m. is early, and to get to the new Orangetheory class I'm taking it means getting out of bed by 4:30 a.m. But, I wanted to shake my fitness routine up and challenge myself to bust out of what I was used to. Here's how it's going.
Published June 19, 2017
Fast Company's seen the trend that's not only Milwaukee specific rather "small city American." Yes, "Hoteliers have Bet Big on Small City America."
Published June 6, 2017
Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg brought her inspirational "Option B" book tour to Milwaukee's Riverside Theater Monday night, and it proved to be a hour of powerful lessons.
Published June 2, 2017
It's always a big hit: the long-sleeved Storm the Bastille T-shirt. Here's an exclusive first look at the Associated Bank Storm the Bastille design from the East Town Association.
Published May 7, 2017
From Milwaukee, a quick weekend trip to Dubuque is an easy one - only about 175 miles, so it's an under three-hour drive. And before you stop reading thinking, "Iowa, what kind of vacation is that?" think again.
Published April 28, 2017
I had a great lunch last week at True Food Kitchen in Downtown Chicago. Truth be told, I hadn't heard of the place until we searched for lunch options close to our hotel and it popped up. Now I want one in Milwaukee.