100 Milwaukee memories: Are you old school?
Note: The contents of this guide were checked for accuracy when this article was updated on March 1, 2001 at 5:00 a.m. We continually update the thousands of articles on OnMilwaukee.com, but it's possible some details, specials and offers may have changed. As always, we recommend you call first if you have specific questions for the businesses mentioned in the guide.
Are you "old school," Milwaukee? You are if you remember the ice rink at Mayfair Mall. Or Samson, the Milwaukee County Zoo's fallen gorilla. The Green Sheet. The Belmont Hotel bar. Howard and Rosemary. Ah, the Milwaukee memories ...
So many memories, so little time! Thankfully, OnMilwaukee.com, with the help of many of its friends, has compiled hundreds of Milwaukee memories. All of them are 100% Milwaukee. Many will make you say, "I remember that," or "gosh, what happened to him or her?" Heck, a few of these might even bring a tear to your Milwaukee eye.
After you read the list, pass it along to friend and be sure to use the feedback button to give us your best Milwaukee memories. And, be sure to watch for our 100 More Memories of Milwaukee, coming soon!
- The ice skating rink at Mayfair
- The "Milwaukee Clipper" ferry to Muskegon, Michigan!
- Ald. Michael McGee
- Albert the Alleycat
- The Oriental Pharmacy
- Howard and Rosemary
- Treasure Island
- Jay Marvin, former WTMJ radio talk show host
- The Bowling Game
- The Channel 18 news with Liz Talbot
- The U2 and Police concerts at The Palms
- Crazy TV Lenny
- The Starship
- The Belmont Hotel bar
- Love Rock
- The Pabst Brewery tour
- Radio Doctors
- Jazz with Scat Johnson on Front Street
- Bobby Rivers
- Rod Luck
- Farrell's at Northridge and Southridge
- The Green Sheet
- Showbiz Pizza
- Public Natatorium (remember the dolphins?)
- The old Kopp's Frozen Custard on Appleton
- Larry the Legend
- Jim Irwin
- Harvey's Wallbangers
- Alan Kulwicki
- Miller's Clear Beer
- Stormin' & Vukes
- Someplace Else
- Beer Barons
- Slightly Kloss Eyed
- The alternative newspaper, Kaleidoscope
- "Nelson Brothers loves you and you'll love them too"
- Webster's and Brewster's on Downer
- Coffee Trader
- Century Hall
- Great Place on a Great Lake
- Marc's Big Boy
- Schuster's Department Store
- The Scene
- Old Smokey
- Layton School of Art
- '82 World Series
- The Submarine at the end of Russell St.
- Milwaukee Road Train Station
- Bill Carlson- the Channel 4 weatherman
- Borchert Field
- Crazy Jim's Demolition Derbies
- Earl Gillespie
- Miller Maritime Days
- South Division Dome
- Washington Park Zoo
- Harold Breier
- When Bluemound Road was in the country
- Bob Kasten
- Outdoor Capitol Court
- The Milwaukee Road
- Schlitz Brewery
- Southgate Mall
- Pink Floyd at County Stadium
- Tim The Rock & Roll Animal on his ledge lobbying for The Who to come to Milwaukee.
- Peaches Records and Tapes
- Dave Schulz and his jams
- Mamie's Grotto (down in the Third Ward)
- The real Pig n' Whistle
- The Grand (women's clothing store with ad that said "She gets her clothes at The Grand")
- The Bluemound Drive in
- The Melody Top
- Kressge's Dime Store
- Jojo's (where one could get jello)
- Pipkorn Sand and Gravel
- Milwaukee Journal (daily and Sunday)
- The Uptown Theater
- The Avant Garde
- Schwabbenhof's Restaurant
- Joe Deutsche's
- County Stadium
- The flood at Summerfest
- "The Carpets here at Hermax...."
- King Braeger
- Fruit Boat
- Dick Bacon
- Milwaukee Sentinel (daily and Sunday)
- The Bugle American
- Bonnie Brewer
- Schwartz downtown bookshop
- The Pillsbury silo
- Laurencia Bemebenik
- Pinky's Bowl
Did you miss OnMilwaukee.com's list of "100 Things to do in Milwaukee"? Click here, http://www.onmilwaukee.com/entertainment/articles/100things.html
Miss our list of "100 Things NOT to do in Milwaukee"? Click here for the famous list, http://www.onmilwaukee.com/buzz/articles/dontdoit.html
Read OnMilwaukee.com everyday! It's your "in click" to what's happening in Milwaukee! Click here, http://www.onmilwaukee.com/
How about your "milk chute" .... your "ash cans"..... do you remember the "alley cats" it was kids bowling on channel 4 just before "bowling with the champs" the kids bowled according to age groups and bowled only the 8th,9th, and 10th frames.... WRIT had "name it. claim it" weekends and you won the 45rpm record.... The Electric Ballroom on State St.... Flanner and Hafsoos Stores.... General Lumber 91st near Florist... Al McQuire and the '77 Marquette Warriors NCAA Champions.... Don Parcher on Wtmj RADIO.... Bob Barry on WOKY the "mighty 92".... Old McDonlds little farm north on 41
how about... Robbies Hamburger Stand on 63rd & Silver Spring Fritz Dienezen Furniture in South Milwaukee... The Circle Inn bar near Marquette Univ.... Father James Groppi.... AMC Plant on Holton & Capitol Dr... Dandelion Park on Little Muskego Lake.... The Kookie cookie house at fabulous Capitol Court Iam definitly old school
How about the Starlight Drive in? Amusement Park for kids on Capital Drive? Sorry can't recall the name. I have some home movies with my brother and I riding the rides. Muskegan Beach? Ice Skating at Brown Deer Park. Block Parties.
How about the Braves and the the thrill of the Brewers bringing baseball back? http://pinetarandbrickbats.blogspot.com/2011/05/braves-brewers-and-memory.html
How about the old Blue Canary on the south side for their regular dances and buffets, and remember shopping at Three Sisters on the avenue.
Show me the other 118 Talkbacks
123 comments about this article.
Post a comment / write a review.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.