My annual article, 52 Restaurants for your Bucket List, was originally created to provide readers with an easy way to explore the wealth of restaurants in the Milwaukee scene over the course of one year (52 weeks). Today, as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, it provides a fun and equally compelling guide for folks who’d like to bring variety to their weekly meals while providing vital support to some of our finest local restaurants.
Here's the featured restaurant of the day, plus five dishes to try!
Birch + Butcher
459 E. Pleasant St., (414) 323-7372
Experience the flavor of hearth-fired cooking at Birch + Butcher. In so many cases, the dishes are deceptively simple. But the care and technical expertise employed to suss extraordinary flavor from local and regional ingredients is what makes eating here a joy. That includes details like housemade hearth-baked breads, exceptional sauces and dressings and beautifully balanced burgers. Due to the increase in COVID-19 cases, Birch + Butcher is currently offering an abbreviated menu for curbside pick-up only.
Five dishes to try:
- Bibb salad with fresh seasonal vegetables, fresh herbs and bibb lettuce; served with ranch or balsamic dressing ($11)
- Buttermilk fried chicken sandwich: lettuce, pickles, onion and housemade ranch; served with side of Bibb salad ($16; add bacon for +$3)
- American burger: lettuce, tomato, red onion, ketchup, pickles, American cheese; served with side of Bibb salad ($16; add bacon for +$3)
- The au jus burger: caramelized onions, mushrooms, Swiss cheese, aioli and demi-glace; served with a side of Bibb salad ($17; add bacon for +$3)
- Cheesecake with seasonal berries ($9)
Lori Fredrich (Lo) is an eater, writer, wonderer, bon vivante, traveler, cook, gardener and girlwonder. Born and raised in the Milwaukee area, she has tried to leave many times, but seems to be drawn to this quirky city that smells of beer and alewives.
Some might say that she is a little obsessed with food. Lo would say she is A LOT obsessed with food. After all, she has been cooking, eating and enjoying food for decades and has no plans to retire anytime soon.
Lo's recipes and writing have been featured in a variety of publications including GO: Airtran Inflight Magazine, Cheese Connoisseur, Cooking Light, Edible Milwaukee, Milwaukee Magazine and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, as well as on the blog Go Bold with Butter, the web site Wisconsin Cheese Talk, and in the quarterly online magazine Grate. Pair. Share.