My annual article, 52 Restaurants for your Bucket List, was originally created to provide readers with an easy way to explore the wealth of restaurants in the Milwaukee scene over the course of one year (52 weeks). Today, as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, it provides a fun and equally compelling guide for folks who’d like to bring variety to their weekly meals while providing vital support to some of our finest local restaurants.
Here's the featured restaurant of the day, plus five recommended dishes to try!
Buckley’s Restaurant & Bar
801 N. Cass St., (414) 277-1111
It’s been over a decade since the Buckley family established their restaurant on MIlwaukee’s lower East Side; but you’d barely know it thanks to a menu that’s kept up with the times in terms of both a great cocktail program and food menu doppled with both solid American classics and globally inspired dishes. On top of it all, the newly expanded restaurant is beautiful. Both dine-in and carry-out available; reservations recommennded for dine-in.
Five dishes to try:
- This classic starter never gets old: Truffled fried artichokes with parmesan, chives and truffle oil ($12)
- Warm up with pork bolognese with hand-made pasta, parmesan, chives ($18)
- One off the best lobster rolls in the city: Maine lobster, tarragon aioli and fries or salad ($22)
- Hot Nashville chicken sandwich: fried chicken thigh topped with hot sauce, slaw and pickles on a toasted bun (with fries or salad, $14)
- Save room for their legendary carrot cake: chock full of walnuts, pineapple and cream cheese buttercream ($9
Bonus: Don’t miss the chef’s features: Try something new! Specials announced daily on Instagram
Lori Fredrich (Lo) is an eater, writer, wonderer, bon vivante, traveler, cook, gardener and girlwonder. Born and raised in the Milwaukee area, she has tried to leave many times, but seems to be drawn to this quirky city that smells of beer and alewives.
Some might say that she is a little obsessed with food. Lo would say she is A LOT obsessed with food. After all, she has been cooking, eating and enjoying food for decades and has no plans to retire anytime soon.
Lo's recipes and writing have been featured in a variety of publications including GO: Airtran Inflight Magazine, Cheese Connoisseur, Cooking Light, Edible Milwaukee, Milwaukee Magazine and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, as well as on the blog Go Bold with Butter, the web site Wisconsin Cheese Talk, and in the quarterly online magazine Grate. Pair. Share.