Tickets for Thursday’s 11th annual Radio Milwaukee Music Awards show – at which there were performances by House of Renji, Paper Holland, Amanda Huff and Dramatic Lovers, and DJ sets throughout the night from Moses – were a hot commodity.
It’s easy to see why, when looking at the list of winners, which reminds us that Brew City’s music scene is as alive as ever ... maybe more so.
Here are the winners, category by category. Congratulations to the winners and the nominees.
- Album of the Year: Lorde Fredd33 – "NORF: The Legend of Hotboy Ronald"
- Song of the Year: Abby Jeanne – "Be In The Sun"
- Solo Artist: Amanda Huff
- Band of the Year: Immortal Girlfriend
- Album Artwork: Amanda Huff – "Hemiptera"
- Music Video: Amanda Huff – "Gravetalking"
- Independent Release: Shle Berry – "Parallels"
- Best Disc We Missed: DelMar the Poet – "Rafters"
- Music Ambassador: Kelsey Kaufmann (music promoter; general manager and events coordinator of Cactus Club)
- Humanitarian: Diverse and Resilient (an organization dedicated to achieving health equity and improve the safety and well-being of LGBTQ people and communities in Wisconsin, for its Colors in Bloom campaign featuring Milwaukee musicians Lex Allen and Taj Raiden)
- Rising Star (recognizing an artist 17 years old or younger): Iris Ramirez, singer/songwriter
- Critics’ Choice Album Of The Year: Lorde Fredd33 – "NORF: The Legend of Hotboy Ronald"
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lived until he was 17, Bobby received his BA-Mass Communications from UWM in 1989 and has lived in Walker's Point, Bay View, Enderis Park, South Milwaukee and on the East Side.
He has published three non-fiction books in Italy – including one about an event in Milwaukee history, which was published in the U.S. in autumn 2010. Four more books, all about Milwaukee, have been published by The History Press.
With his most recent band, The Yell Leaders, Bobby released four LPs and had a songs featured in an episode of TV's "Party of Five," and films in Japan, South America and the U.S. The Yell Leaders were named the best unsigned band in their region by VH-1 as part of its Rock Across America 1998 Tour. Most recently, the band contributed tracks to a UK vinyl/CD tribute to the Redskins and collaborated on a track with Italian novelist Enrico Remmert.
He's produced three installments of the "OMCD" series of local music compilations for OnMilwaukee.com and in 2007 produced a CD of Italian music and poetry.
In 2005, he was awarded the City of Asti's (Italy) Journalism Prize for his work focusing on that area.
He can be heard weekly on 88Nine Radio Milwaukee talking about his "Urban Spelunking" series of stories.