The biggest film event next month may take place offscreen (the Academy Awards this Sunday night – which, tune in on Twitter that night for my live-tweeting, predictions, commentary and copious "xXx: Return of Xander Cage" references!), but there's still plenty to be excited about in theaters next month. "Red Sparrow." Doubling back "Black Panther." "A Wrinkle in Time." Seeing "Black Panther" again. "Ready Player One." Nah, actually let's do "Black Panther" one more time.
Perhaps the most exciting things arriving on the big screen in March, however, aren't the new releases (or seeing "Black Panther" for the dozenth time) but the anime classics coming back, as Miyazaki March and Anime April make their triumphant return to the Avalon Atmospheric Theater this spring.
For just $5 a ticket, the Avalon's star-lit main house will host sixteen beloved hits – from Miyazaki marvels like "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke" to fellow acclaimed animated achievements like "Grave of the Fireflies" and "Ghost in the Shell" – with showings scattered at 9:30 p.m. and 11 a.m. throughout the next two months. All evening showings will be in Japanese with English subtitles while all afternoon showings will be dubbed in English.
And in case that's not enough, the Avalon will serve up house-made bowls of rich porky tonkotsu ramen – complete with soy glazed pork belly, soft-poached egg, scallions and nori – as well as Japanese candies and other treats.
So go get your Stubio Ghibli on in March, inhale some anime action in April and maybe next year they'll add a third month too. Might I suggest Ani-May?
"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind"
- Tuesday, March 6 at 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 10 at 11 a.m.
"Castle in the Sky"
- Thursday, March 8 at 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 11 at 11 a.m.
"My Neighbor Totoro"
- Tuesday, March 13 at 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 17 at 11 a.m.
"Kiki's Delivery Service"
- Thursday, March 15 at 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 18 at 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, March 20 at 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 24 at 11 a.m.
- Thursday, March 22 at 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday, March 25 at 11 a.m.
"Howl's Moving Castle"
- Tuesday, March 27 at 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 31 at 11 a.m.
"The Wind Rises"
- Thursday, March 29 at 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday, April 1 at 11 a.m.
"Cowboy Bebop: The Movie"
- Tuesday, April 3 at 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 5 at 9:30 p.m.
"Ghost in the Shell"
- Tuesday, April 10 at 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 12 at 9:30 p.m.
- Sunday, April 15 at 11 a.m.
- Tuesday, April 17 at 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 19 at 9:30 p.m.
"Grave of the Fireflies"
- Tuesday, April 24 at 9:30 p.m.
- Thursday, April 26 at 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 28 at 11 a.m.
For more information on tickets, visit the Avalon's website.
As much as it is a gigantic cliché to say that one has always had a passion for film, Matt Mueller has always had a passion for film. Whether it was bringing in the latest movie reviews for his first grade show-and-tell or writing film reviews for the St. Norbert College Times as a high school student, Matt is way too obsessed with movies for his own good.
When he's not writing about the latest blockbuster or talking much too glowingly about "Piranha 3D," Matt can probably be found watching literally any sport (minus cricket) or working at - get this - a local movie theater. Or watching a movie. Yeah, he's probably watching a movie.