For the third year running, area chefs will be showcasing their time and talents for a cause at Dim Sum Give Some, an annual event which raises funds for the eradication of Kennedy’s Disease.
The event, which will be held on Sunday, June 23 from 2 to 5 p.m. at The Cooperage, 822 S. Water St., will feature a virtual smorgasbord of small plate style fare from more than 20 area restaurants, plus discounted beer and cocktails ($5 Bloody Marys, old fashioneds and mimosas; plus $3 Old Style and $4 pours from 3 Sheeps and Ballast Point). Guests can also purchase tickets for a 50/50 raffle.
Participating chefs and restaurants for 2019 include:
- Daniel Jacobs and Dan Van Rite of DanDan, Fauntleroy and EsterEv
- Gregory Leon of Amilinda
- Karen Bell of Bavette Milwaukee
- Francesca Hong and Matt Morris of Morris Ramen (Madison)
- Thomas Hauck of Lowlands Group
- Joe Muench of Black Shoe Hospitality
- Miles Borghgraef of Birch and Butcher
- Paul Zerkel and Lisa Kirkpatrick of Goodkind
- Dane Baldwin of The Diplomat
- Kurt Fogle, Katie O’Neil and Dan Turek of Bass Bay Brewhouse, Milk Can and Milk Bottle Bakery
- Ross Bachhuber and Melissa Buchholz of Odd Duck
- Andrew Miller of Third Coast Provision and Merriment Social
- Paris Dreibelbis of Black Sheep MKE
- Adam Siegel and Aaron Bickham of Bartolotta Restaurant Group
- Mitch Ciohon of Snack Boys
- Bruce Badke of Valentine Coffee
- Dan Fox of Heritage Tavern (Madison)
- Paddy Joyce of Vanguard
- Alex Lyskowicz of The Iron Horse
- Zak Baker of Ca’Lucchenzo
Strides toward a cure
In 2017, Chef Daniel Jacobs of Dandan, Fauntleroy and EsterEv was diagnosed with Kennedy's Disease, a rare, currently incurable and non-treatable, genetic neuromuscular disease that, over time, severely impact patients' mobility and their ability to speak. His diagnosis – along with that of his brother – prompted the chef to take a proactive role in supporting the work to find a cure.
In the past two years, the JVR Group has raised more than $50,000 for the Kennedy’s Disease Association. The hope is to raise $60,000 or more by the end of 2019.
Dim Sum Give Some is a 21-and-over event. Tickets include are $45 in advance and $60 at the door (if still available). Note: onsite purchases are cash only; there is an ATM on premise.
Lori Fredrich (Lo) is an eater, writer, wonderer, bon vivante, traveler, cook, gardener and girlwonder. Born and raised in the Milwaukee area, she has tried to leave many times, but seems to be drawn to this quirky city that smells of beer and alewives.
Some might say that she is a little obsessed with food. Lo would say she is A LOT obsessed with food. After all, she has been cooking, eating and enjoying food for decades and has no plans to retire anytime soon.
Lo's recipes and writing have been featured in a variety of publications including GO: Airtran Inflight Magazine, Cheese Connoisseur, Cooking Light, Edible Milwaukee, Milwaukee Magazine and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, as well as on the blog Go Bold with Butter, the web site Wisconsin Cheese Talk, and in the quarterly online magazine Grate. Pair. Share.