After opening its doors at Crossroads Collective last February, Discourse is expanding its reach, bringing creative beverages to life at the Cafe inside the Milwaukee Art Museum, 700 N. Art Museum Dr.
The collaboration is part of a five month residency, which will showcase a menu of Discourse beverages from imaginative takes on cafe staples to novel experiential drinks like Crenn, an exploding sphere filled with an assortment of coffees, teas and juices.
"We’re incredibly honored to be working with such a legendary establishment in the community,” says Ryan Castelaz, founder and creative director. “The Discourse team and I pride ourselves on the craftsmanship behind our drinks, and we’re beyond excited to open up shop alongside an organization that shares our dedication to creativity.”
The April menu of Discourse beverages at the cafe will include:
- Moonwater: espresso, honey, ceylon cinnamon, tellicherry black pepper, applewood smoked sea salt
- Parisian: matcha, black tea syrup, blueberry, mango, passionfruit, lime
- Channel Orange: espresso, smoked and oaked vanilla, orange oleo saccharum, Bittercube Blackstrap Bitters, candied orange powder, black lava salt
- Motorhead: espresso, pork fat and apple caramel, chai concentrate, Bittercube Root Beer Bitters, apple powder, smoked sea salt
- Flora: espresso, lavender honey, rose water, milk, candied lemon powder, fleur de sel
- Beetnik: sous vide coffee, candied pistachio milk, silk chili honey, orange oleo saccharum, bitters blend, apple-beet powder, edible flowers (drink pictured above)
- “In Bloom” Crenn: jasmine tea, lemon juice, wildflower honey, lavender, yuzu kosho, honey roasted pistachio, cured sumac
In the coming months, the Discourse team will also add drink offerings which are inspired by the art displayed in the Museum’s galleries.
“To be able to tell the stories of the incredible works of art at the Milwaukee Art Museum through drink is the ultimate realization of Discourse’s vision for coffee,” says Castelaz.
Alongside coffee and tea, the food and beverage team at the Milwaukee Art Museum, led by Executive Chef Jamie Nelson, offers a full menu of artful cafe fare along with wine, beer, and soft drinks. View the full menu online.
"The Milwaukee Art Museum is excited to welcome Discourse: Coffee Workshop into the Museum Café to bring coffee to life in new ways for our visitors,” noted Robert Stein, Milwaukee Art Museum Deputy Director and Chief Experience Officer. “Paired with lakefront views and freshly made food, Discourse’s artisanal creations provide the perfect moment to recharge during the workday or after touring the galleries.”
Discourse is open at the Milwaukee Art Museum Tuesday and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The cafe is open to the public; no ticket to the museum is required.
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.