If you are a lover of wine – maybe even a fan wines from California's Russian River Valley – consider this an invitation to indulge.
Black Shoe Hospitality will be hosting an ambitiously paired, first-ever wine-maker dinner at Blue’s Egg in Shorewood, 4195 N Oakland Ave., on Thursday, April 11 beginning at 6 p.m.
For the special dinner, they've partnered with one of their favorite wineries – Gamba Vineyards and Winery – a small, family owned and operated producer known for their Russian River Valley Old Vine Zinfandel. And, for the first time, the dinner will include an appearance from owner, grape grower and winemaker Agostino Gama who will be available to talk through the evening’s wine selections and answer guests’ questions.
The paired dinner will be prepared by members of both the Blue’s Egg Shorewood and Story Hill BKC culinary teams under the direction of co-owner Chef Joe Muench.
The proposed menu (still subject to change) includes:
- Grilled halloumi with salt cured bacon, cauliflower hummus and apricot; Tuna poke skewers with chili, cucumber, mango, lime and togarashi
Pairing: 2018 Etrusca "Natalia" Rosé.
- Shrimp and scallop crudo with green pea salad, chervil, fried lemons, pistachios
Pairing: 2016 Etrusca "Cecilia" Chardonnay
- Pork sausage crepinette with peppered clams, tomato braised fennel, agrodolce mustard
Pairing: 2016 Gamba Family Ranches Zinfandel, Russian River Valley
- Creamed mushrooms with grilled figs, duck pastrami, crispy polenta and super-aged balsamic
Pairing: 2016 Gamba Starr Road Zinfandel Old Vine
- 72-Hour short rib with rosemary parmesan potatoes, grilled rapini, chili salsa verde, fried garlic
Pairing: 2014 Etrusca "Velia" Red Blend, Russian River Valley
- Flourless criollo chocolate tart with molasses caramel, espresso glaze, bitter orange
Pairing: 2016 Gamba Petite Sirah
Tickets for the Gamba Wine Dinner are $125 per person (includes wine, dinner, tax and gratuity). The evening begins with a reception at 6:00 p.m. and dinner to follow at 6:30 p.m. Tickets available online.
Lori Fredrich (Lo) is an eater, writer, wonderer, bon vivante, traveler, cook, gardener and girlwonder. Born and raised in the Milwaukee area, she has tried to leave many times, but seems to be drawn to this quirky city that smells of beer and alewives.
Some might say that she is a little obsessed with food. Lo would say she is A LOT obsessed with food. After all, she has been cooking, eating and enjoying food for decades and has no plans to retire anytime soon.
Lo's recipes and writing have been featured in a variety of publications including GO: Airtran Inflight Magazine, Cheese Connoisseur, Cooking Light, Edible Milwaukee, Milwaukee Magazine and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, as well as on the blog Go Bold with Butter, the web site Wisconsin Cheese Talk, and in the quarterly online magazine Grate. Pair. Share.