Monday is the final tasting to pick a winner for Georgie Porgie's frozen custard flavor contest, held in honor of National Frozen Custard Day, which takes place annually on Aug. 8.
OnMilwaukee is a sponsor of the second annual event.
Details of the contest, which wraps up tonight with free samples of all five finalist flavors at the Oak Creek restaurant so that folks can vote to select the winner, can be found here.
Georgie Porgie's Gina Esch says 155 entries were received, from which staff selected the top five finalists. Now, everyone is invited to stop in tonight at 6:30 to taste the samples and vote for their favorite.
Here are the finalists:
- White Chocolate Raspberry Nutella Cheesecake: Vanilla custard with white chocolate sauce, raspberries, Nutella and cheesecake pieces.
- Blueberry Lemon Pie: Vanilla custard with lemon pudding, blueberry pie filling and pie crust pieces.
- Yabba Dabba Dino Doo: Twist custard with chocolate pebble cereal, chopped peanuts, hot fudge and brownie bits.
- Krispy Delight: Vanilla custard with marshmallow crème, marshmallow puffs and krispy treat crumbles
- Sticky Bun: Vanilla custard with chocolate sauce, yellow cake pieces, cinnamon, pecans and caramel.
I'll be there tonight with Kathleen McCann, co-author of the book, "Milwaukee Frozen Custard," to taste and vote, too.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lived until he was 17, Bobby received his BA-Mass Communications from UWM in 1989 and has lived in Walker's Point, Bay View, Enderis Park, South Milwaukee and on the East Side.
He has published three non-fiction books in Italy – including one about an event in Milwaukee history, which was published in the U.S. in autumn 2010. Four more books, all about Milwaukee, have been published by The History Press.
With his most recent band, The Yell Leaders, Bobby released four LPs and had a songs featured in episodes of TV's "Party of Five" and "Dawson's Creek," and films in Japan, South America and the U.S. The Yell Leaders were named the best unsigned band in their region by VH-1 as part of its Rock Across America 1998 Tour. Most recently, the band contributed tracks to a UK vinyl/CD tribute to the Redskins and collaborated on a track with Italian novelist Enrico Remmert.
He's produced three installments of the "OMCD" series of local music compilations for OnMilwaukee.com and in 2007 produced a CD of Italian music and poetry.
In 2005, he was awarded the City of Asti's (Italy) Journalism Prize for his work focusing on that area. He has also won awards from the Milwaukee Press Club.
He can be heard weekly on 88Nine Radio Milwaukee talking about his "Urban Spelunking" series of stories.