"Bar Month" at OnMilwaukee is brought to you by Miller Brewing Company, calling Milwaukee home since 1855. For the entire month of March, we're serving up fun articles on bars, clubs and beverages – including guides, the latest trends, bar reviews, the results of our Best of Bars poll and more. Grab a designated driver and dive in!
If you’re a wine lover with a penchant for Italian varietals, you may just find your bliss in an upcoming wine dinner at Wolf Peach.
The dinner, which takes place Thursday, March 16, will feature dishes created by Wolf Peach Executive Chef Kyle Toner and carefully selected wine pairings from Giornata Cellars in California.
Owned by the husband and wife team of Brian and Stephanie Terrizzi, Giornata Cellars specializes in Italian style wines made with Italian grapes grown in California soil. They’ve been lauded for their ability to ease out the flavors valued in Italian varietals from grapes grown over 6,000 miles from their homeland.
Winemaker Stephanie Terrizzi will be present to offer insights on the vineyard and each of the Giornata selections.
- Octopus salad with 'nduja vinaigrette, olives and capers, paired with Fiano, a selection rife with flavors of honey, carambola and stone fruit.
- Fregola sarda "risotto" with Alaskan spot prawns and lemon, paired with Vermentino, a white wine made with grapes known for their refreshing acidity and attractive aromas of peach, lemon peel and dried herbs
- "Tajarin" with mushroom ragu, paired with Giornata’s earthy Barbera, rife with wild strawbarry, anise, thai basil and a bit of leather.
- Porchetta with salsa verde and Tuscan kale, paired with Sangiovese that exhibits dusty notes of tobacco, leather and red cherry.
- Toasted almond cake with cherry compote and cocoa nibs, paired with Aglianico - French Camp Vineyard, a wine with loads of blackberry, cocoa, hibiscus tea, tobacco and black pepper.
The Giornata Wine dinner begins at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 16. Cost is $80 per person, which includes five courses plus wine pairings. Reservations can be made by calling Wolf Peach at (414) 374-8480.
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.