By OnMilwaukee Staff Writers   Published Apr 18, 2001 at 10:58 AM

Q: How can I control the "Creeping Charlie" ground ivy in my lawn?

A: To control ground ivy and any other broadleaf weed, be ready this fall (September) to spray with a herbicide.

Q: My lawn has lots of dandelions. How do I get rid of them?

A: You should apply a broadleaf herbicide to your lawn. The most effective method of control is a liquid herbicide that is sprayed onto the lawn when the dandelions are actively growing. We recommend Fertilome Weed Out with the active ingredient Trimec.

Q: I'm having difficulty growing grass underneath some of the large trees in my landscape. What would you suggest?

A: These areas can be especially difficult due to the excessive shade. Trim up the trees as much as possible to increase the sunlight. Try a shady grass seed mix or a shade loving groundcover plant. When all else fails, mulch with stone or bark!