The coronavirus pandemic has changed our everyday life, but it doesn't need to change who we are. So, in addition to our ongoing coverage of the coronavirus, OnMilwaukee will continue to report on cool, fun, inspiring and strange stories from our city and beyond. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay informed and stay joyful. We're all in this together. #InThisTogetherMKE
So Milwaukee workers are in need right now due to the coronavirus limiting or eliminating their employment. Artists, musicians, servers, bartenders, stylists, fitness and yoga instructors, massage therapists ... the list goes on and on.
There are ways to help. Here are a few ideas.
Gift cards, gift cards, gift cards!
- Buy gift cards from restaurants, massage therapists, hair stylists, etc. now and use them after the pandemic is over.
Hairstylists / barbers
- Click here to sign a petition via change.org to help the cosmotology industry receive economic hardship packages.
- Buy gift cards from your stylists now to use later.
- Purchase and download music from your favorite musicians.
- Purchase tickets and enjoy a live show through StageIt.
- Support artists' Patreon – and find out more about it here. In many cases, you're simultaneously helping artists and the service industries as so many artists, musicians and writers work in bars and restaurants.
- Buy art! Visit Etsy shops here.
- Take this Impact Survey from Americans for the Arts, connect with other artists and get tips and advice here.
- Get books delivered – without contact – to your door by Boswell Book Co. Click here.
Restaurants and bars
- Order no-contact delivery from one of many local restaurants here.
- Buy gift certificates from your favorite restaurants to use later. Buy a bunch of gift certificates and save them for friends - most won't expire until the end of 2021 anyway.
Molly Snyder started writing and publishing her work at the age 10, when her community newspaper printed her poem, "The Unicorn.” Since then, she's expanded beyond the subject of mythical creatures and written in many different mediums but, nearest and dearest to her heart, thousands of articles for OnMilwaukee.
Molly is a regular contributor to FOX6 News and numerous radio stations as well as the co-host of "Dandelions: A Podcast For Women.” She's received five Milwaukee Press Club Awards, served as the Pfister Narrator and is the Wisconsin State Fair’s Celebrity Cream Puff Eating Champion of 2019.