By OnMilwaukee Staff Writers   Published Nov 11, 2006 at 5:17 AM
In order to be in a legally binding marriage, a marriage license is a necessity. In Milwaukee, licenses can be obtained from The Office of the County Clerk.

The time frame for applying for a marriage license is at least eight days before the wedding ceremony, but no more than 30 days prior. The fee for a marriage license is $100 at the time of applying and it must be in cash.

It's best to be prepared before going in to apply for the license. Here are the requirements for Milwaukee County:

  • Bride and Groom must apply together.
  • A certified birth certificate is required from both parties and no copies are allowed.
  • Proof of residency with a current address -- at least 30 days -- must be shown in Milwaukee County.
  • If the bride or groom has been in a previous marriage, proof of divorce, legal annulment or a certified death certificate must be shown. (Wisconsin law also states that six months since the date of the divorce was granted need to have elapsed before it's possible apply for a new marriage license).
  • Both bride and groom must bring in their Social Security cards.
  • The full name, address and phone number of the person performing the wedding ceremony must be supplied.

To apply for a marriage license in Milwaukee County, the County Clerk's office is located Room 105 in the Courthouse, 901 N. 9th St. Applications for licenses are taken 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information, call 414-278-4067 or visit the Milwaukee County Clerk Web site.

If you don't live in Milwaukee County, here are the links to the requirements for other Wisconsin counties:

Ozaukee County

(262) 284-8110

Washington County

(262) 335-4735

Waukesha County
(262) 548-7010

Racine County

(262) 636-3121

Kenosha County

(262) 653-2552