The mission of MaskUpMKE is to create 3.5 million homemade masks for healthcare providers and other essential service providers in Milwaukee. The organization needs your help to reach this goal.
MaskUpMKE is a partnership between United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County, the Milwaukee Bucks, Medical College of Wisconsin, Greater Milwaukee Foundation, Zilber Family Foundation, Ignite Change, Fiserv Forum, Rebel Converting and Habitat For Humanity.
Volunteers pick up their mask kits from Fiserv Forum in Milwaukee, take the kit home to assemble 700 masks and return the assembled masks to Fiserv Forum in four days.
A scissors, hole punch or stapler is required. No experience is needed to make the very-easy-to-construct masks. However, to make sure you are a good fit for volunteer mask making, you must confirm that all statements below are true for you and anyone in your household / facility where masks will be made:
- I have not tested positive for COVID-19 at any time.
- I have not experienced any symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, cough, shortness of breath) in the past 4 weeks.
- I have not come into contact with anyone testing positive for COVID-19 in the past 2 weeks.
- I have not, to my knowledge, been exposed to or come into contact with someone with or presumed to have COVID-19.
- I am not a smoker or have a history of lung disease (or any other disease that makes you more likely to get a respiratory infection).
- I am not a health care worker who has been in contact with patients in the past 2 weeks.
- I am not an essential worker who comes into daily contact with the public in an environment where social distancing is not possible (grocery worker, bus driver, etc).
- I have followed CDC guidelines to avoid infection (stay home as much as possible, keep 6 feet away from others, and wash hands frequently).
Click here to find out more information about mask making.
Molly Snyder started writing and publishing her work at the age 10, when her community newspaper printed her poem, "The Unicorn.” Since then, she's expanded beyond the subject of mythical creatures and written in many different mediums but, nearest and dearest to her heart, thousands of articles for OnMilwaukee.
Molly is a regular contributor to FOX6 News and numerous radio stations as well as the co-host of "Dandelions: A Podcast For Women.” She's received five Milwaukee Press Club Awards, served as the Pfister Narrator and is the Wisconsin State Fair’s Celebrity Cream Puff Eating Champion of 2019.