RadioMilwaukee listeners voted on their favorite local music and the winners of the second annual Milwaukee Music Awards were announced Thursday.
Here is the list of winners:
- Artist of the Year -- Kings Go Forth (Listener Choice Award)
- Song of the Year -- "One Day," Kings Go Forth
- Album of the Year -- "Cathedral Square Park," The Lackloves
- Vocalist of the Year -- Mark Waldoch, The Celebrated Workingman
- Best New Artist -- Kings Go Forth
- TNT Award (Artist Most Likely to Blow Up) -- Kings Go Forth
- Club DJ of the Year -- Kid Cut Up (Listener Choice Award)
- Earwig Award (Catchiest Song) -- "Foundation," The Rusty P's
- Power "Poptart" Award (Power Pop Song of the Year) -- "Latest Flame," Quinn Scharber and the...
- Dance Track of the Year -- "Fire," Codebreaker
- "414 Music" Award (Best In-Studio Performance) -- Stealin' Strings
- Memorable Concert of the Year -- Kings Go Forth at Bay View Bash (Listener Choice Award)
- Album Artwork/Packaging of the Year -- "Esque," The Rip Off Artists
- The 88Nine Award For Music & Community Service -- Figureheads
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lived until he was 17, Bobby received his BA-Mass Communications from UWM in 1989 and has lived in Walker's Point, Bay View, Enderis Park, South Milwaukee and on the East Side.
He has published three non-fiction books in Italy – including one about an event in Milwaukee history, which was published in the U.S. in autumn 2010. Four more books, all about Milwaukee, have been published by The History Press.
With his most recent band, The Yell Leaders, Bobby released four LPs and had a songs featured in episodes of TV's "Party of Five" and "Dawson's Creek," and films in Japan, South America and the U.S. The Yell Leaders were named the best unsigned band in their region by VH-1 as part of its Rock Across America 1998 Tour. Most recently, the band contributed tracks to a UK vinyl/CD tribute to the Redskins and collaborated on a track with Italian novelist Enrico Remmert.
He's produced three installments of the "OMCD" series of local music compilations for OnMilwaukee.com and in 2007 produced a CD of Italian music and poetry.
In 2005, he was awarded the City of Asti's (Italy) Journalism Prize for his work focusing on that area. He has also won awards from the Milwaukee Press Club.
He can be heard weekly on 88Nine Radio Milwaukee talking about his "Urban Spelunking" series of stories.