It's been a doozy of a year so far, but we're almost to the halfway point and there couldn't be a better time to celebrate love in all of its forms and colors.
Thus, OnMilwaukee, along with many partners and friends, declares June 1-7 "MKE Pride Week," and will host myriad fun, safe events this week as well as bedazzling the site with LGBTQ-themed articles, interviews and a new "rainbow Hoan" logo, designed by OnMilwaukee's award-winning creative director, Jason McDowell.
There will even be a Pride "Parade" this Sunday, featuring the OnMilwaukee Love Bus rolling by gay bars, historic LGBTQ landmarks, John McGivern's pad and many other meaningful spots. But more on that later. For now, here's a glimpse of what to expect during "MKE Pride Week," with more information coming soon.
- MKE Pride Guide listing all of the local events taking place during the entire month of June.
- MKE Pride Party Pack Online Auction featuring 15 different "pride packs" including everything you need to throw a pride party at home – as well as gift cards to keep the party going at LGBTQ bars and restaurants (at a future date, of course). Special thanks to all of our sponsors, including White Claw, Jack Daniels, Smirnoff, Frito Lay and the 15 participating local bars.
- OnMilwaukee Virtual Happy Hour with special guests from the LGBTQ community on Thursday at 5 p.m. on OnMilwaukee's FB Page. Grab your favorite libation and join us for toasts and laughs.
- A special Pride edition of "Quarantine Kitchen" with host Lori Fredrich and guests xx. Sunday, June 6 at 2 p.m. ?
- "The Rainbow City Chalk Project" is a family-friendly event inviting all to draw rainbows and positive messages of love on their sidewalks, send in photos and help us to turn Brew City into Rainbow City.
- A special Dandelions podcast answering the question "Where have all the lesbian bars gone?" Date and time TBA.
- OnMilwaukee Love Bus rolls with the wacky times and brings the Pride Parade to your screen this Sunday, with many socially distanced special guests and stops at historical hot spots. More on this soon!
- Plus, daily articles and interviews on OnMilwaukee celebrating the city's diversity and the powerful healing aspects of love. Tune in, take part and most importantly, to loosely quote the Great David Levy, take time this week to love the wine, not the label. HAPPY PRIDE, MILWAUKEE!
Molly Snyder grew up on Milwaukee's East Side and today, she lives in the Walker's Point neighborhood with her partner and two sons.
As a full time senior writer, editorial manager and self-described experience junkie, Molly has written thousands of articles about Milwaukee (and a few about New Orleans, Detroit, Indianapolis, Boston and various vacation spots in Wisconsin) that range in subject from where to get the best cup of coffee to an in-depth profile on the survivors of the iconic Norman apartment building that burned down in the '90s.
She also once got a colonic just to report on it, but that's enough on that.
Always told she had a "radio voice," Molly found herself as a regular contributor on FM102, 97WMYX and 1130WISN with her childhood radio favorite, Gene Mueller.
Molly's poetry, essays and articles appeared in many publications including USA Today, The Writer, The Sun Magazine and more. She has a collection of poetry, "Topless," and is slowly writing a memoir.
In 2009, Molly won a Milwaukee Press Club Award. She served as the Narrator / writer-in-residence at the Pfister Hotel from 2013-2014. She is also a story slam-winning storyteller who has performed with The Moth, Ex Fabula and Risk!
When she's not writing, interviewing or mom-ing, Molly teaches tarot card classes, gardens, sits in bars drinking Miller products and dreams of being in a punk band again.