It's been a doozy of a year so far, but we're almost to the halfway point and there couldn't be a better time to celebrate love in all of its forms and colors.
Thus, OnMilwaukee, along with many partners and friends, declares June 1-7 "MKE Pride Week," and will host myriad fun, safe events this week as well as bedazzling the site with LGBTQ-themed articles, interviews and a new "rainbow Hoan" logo, designed by OnMilwaukee's award-winning creative director, Jason McDowell.
There will even be a Pride "Parade" this Sunday, featuring the OnMilwaukee Love Bus rolling by gay bars, historic LGBTQ landmarks, John McGivern's pad and many other meaningful spots. But more on that later. For now, here's a glimpse of what to expect during "MKE Pride Week," with more information coming soon.
- MKE Pride Guide listing all of the local events taking place during the entire month of June.
- MKE Pride Party Pack Online Auction featuring 15 different "pride packs" including everything you need to throw a pride party at home – as well as gift cards to keep the party going at LGBTQ bars and restaurants (at a future date, of course). Special thanks to all of our sponsors, including White Claw, Jack Daniels, Smirnoff, Frito Lay and the 15 participating local bars.
- OnMilwaukee Virtual Happy Hour with special guests from the LGBTQ community on Thursday at 5 p.m. on OnMilwaukee's FB Page. Grab your favorite libation and join us for toasts and laughs.
- A special Pride edition of "Quarantine Kitchen" with host Lori Fredrich and guests xx. Sunday, June 6 at 2 p.m. ?
- "The Rainbow City Chalk Project" is a family-friendly event inviting all to draw rainbows and positive messages of love on their sidewalks, send in photos and help us to turn Brew City into Rainbow City.
- A special Dandelions podcast answering the question "Where have all the lesbian bars gone?" Date and time TBA.
- OnMilwaukee Love Bus rolls with the wacky times and brings the Pride Parade to your screen this Sunday, with many socially distanced special guests and stops at historical hot spots. More on this soon!
- Plus, daily articles and interviews on OnMilwaukee celebrating the city's diversity and the powerful healing aspects of love. Tune in, take part and most importantly, to loosely quote the Great David Levy, take time this week to love the wine, not the label. HAPPY PRIDE, MILWAUKEE!
Molly Snyder started writing and publishing her work at the age 10, when her community newspaper printed her poem, "The Unicorn.” Since then, she's expanded beyond the subject of mythical creatures and written in many different mediums but, nearest and dearest to her heart, thousands of articles for OnMilwaukee.
Molly is a regular contributor to FOX6 News and numerous radio stations as well as the co-host of "Dandelions: A Podcast For Women.” She's received five Milwaukee Press Club Awards, served as the Pfister Narrator and is the Wisconsin State Fair’s Celebrity Cream Puff Eating Champion of 2019.