Milwaukee's newest cocktail bar is preparing to open its doors to the public.
Mosler's Vault, a new speakeasy style cocktail bar operated by the folks at Bittercube, is slated to open on Wednesday, Sept. 21 on the Garden level of the new North Avenue Market food hall at 5900 W. North Ave.
The bar, which is located inside the former United Federal Savings & Loan bank vault, is named for the vault manufacturer, Mosler Safe Co., which manufactured bank safes and vaults from 1874 until its bankruptcy in 2001.
Inside, you'll find a well-appointed – if cozy space – which seats approximately 12 guests. The space, surrounded by pristine cream city brick walls, sports a faux green ceiling (in keeping with its location in the Garden) and a bar faced by former safety deposit boxes repurposed from the bank.
“The existing vault seemed like the perfect place for us to open another tiny cocktail bar," notes Bittercube owner Ira Koplowitz. "While it may have a speakeasy feel, there are no secret handshakes or hidden compartments, all are welcome!”
On the menu
The menu, crafted by Koplowitz and Brandon Reyes, Bittercube's research and development czar and and co-owner of the Heirloom liqueurs brand.
Cocktail offerings, which are $15 each, include:
- Queen of the Lemon Herbs: Rujero Singani, lemon myrtle infused gin, lime strength grapefruit, cinnamon and bergamot oil (zero proof variation available)
- Do We Even Need Flutes?: Amagnac, strawberry infused apple brandy, lemon, peach blossom honey, Heirloom Pineapple Amaro, Jamaican No. 2 bitters and sparkling wine
- Flamed Gin Sour: Gin, lemon, rosemary syrup, egg whites, flamed Heirloom Genepy and Alchermes, All Day bitters
- Firebird: Mango infused sotol, lime, State Line Aperitivo, Disco Inferno
- Reyes Rum Fizz: Shochu, rum, lemon, passion fruit liqueur, golden yunnan tea syrup, Cherry Bark Vanilla bitters, egg yolk, seltzer, cheese foam
- Mosler's Manhattan: Mahlab infused house American Whiskey blend, Cocchi Torino, Pompona CBV, flamed orange oil
- Fennel Pollan Sazerac: Rye whiskey, cognac, fennel pollan syrup, Trinity bitters, lemon oil, absinthe
- In the Cloud Forest: El Dorado 8-year Rum, Rhum Barbancourt 4-year, Ten to One Dark Rum, espresso, dry vermouth, Heirloom Pineapple Amaro, Orange bitters, cardamom
Mosler's Vault is open Wednesday from 5 to 9 p.m. and Thursday through Saturday from 5 to 11 p.m. Reservations are required and can be made online. A $10 per person deposit is required at booking, which will be credited to your bill on the evening of your reservation.
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.