Craft brewers have adopted Movember – which raises awareness of men’s health issues – as one of their causes to champion and each year many get involved in the annual event that encourages growing mustaches in November to help bring attention to prostate and testicular cancer and suicide.
This year in Milwaukee, a group of breweries has again mobilized for Movember and 3 Sheeps’ sales rep Julianna Pierandozzi has worked to expand the number of breweries involved and the number of events.
“The concept will mostly be for every pint drank from our breweries, $1 is donated to Movember,” says Pierandozzi. “Some of the events have the added incentive of raffle prizes.”
This year, in addition to 3 Sheeps, the participating breweries include Bell’s, New Belgium, Young Blood, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, Lion’s Tail, Third Space, Guinness, Sweet Water and New Glarus.
The month kicks off at Three Lions Pub on Tuesday, Nov. 1, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., with a Shave Down, where a $25 donation gets you a shave from Groom and a free pint from 3 Sheeps, New Glarus, Third Space or Bell’s.
Pierandozzi has organized similar “beer for a good cause” events, too, like this one earlier in the year.
Here are the details on the events...
- Wednesday, Nov. 9 – Station No 6. Drink beer from participating Movember breweries and get raffle tickets for great prizes, 4-8 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 17 – Izzy Hops. Watch the Packers, drink beer from participating breweries, get raffle tickets for prize baskets, including Bucks tickets.
- Friday, Nov. 18 – Steny’s. Trivia with features and donations per pint purchased of Bell’s, New Belgium and Sierra Nevada.
- Saturday, Nov. 19 – The Newport. Meat Raffle Drink beer, get raffle tickets, win meat!
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 – The Tap Room. Anniversary 3 Sheeps tap takeover, raffle baskets
- Tuesday, Nov. 29 – The Brass Tap. Raffle tickets and baskets.
- Wednesday, Nov. 30 – Dugout 54. End of Movember Night with raffle baskets.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lived until he was 17, Bobby received his BA-Mass Communications from UWM in 1989 and has lived in Walker's Point, Bay View, Enderis Park, South Milwaukee and on the East Side.
He has published three non-fiction books in Italy – including one about an event in Milwaukee history, which was published in the U.S. in autumn 2010. Four more books, all about Milwaukee, have been published by The History Press.
With his most recent band, The Yell Leaders, Bobby released four LPs and had a songs featured in episodes of TV's "Party of Five" and "Dawson's Creek," and films in Japan, South America and the U.S. The Yell Leaders were named the best unsigned band in their region by VH-1 as part of its Rock Across America 1998 Tour. Most recently, the band contributed tracks to a UK vinyl/CD tribute to the Redskins and collaborated on a track with Italian novelist Enrico Remmert.
He's produced three installments of the "OMCD" series of local music compilations for OnMilwaukee.com and in 2007 produced a CD of Italian music and poetry.
In 2005, he was awarded the City of Asti's (Italy) Journalism Prize for his work focusing on that area. He has also won awards from the Milwaukee Press Club.
He can be heard weekly on 88Nine Radio Milwaukee talking about his "Urban Spelunking" series of stories.