It’s time to join the Milwaukee Public Museum for a virtual event unlike any other: A Moveable Feast 2.0.
This annual charitable event – traditionally filled with amazing food served up in a unique environment – is making a different kind of splash this year. In fact, the event is marking its sixth year with a two-week-long online experience that has been touted as the "best online fundraiser since the discovery of social distancing."
Moveable Feast 2.0 kicks off on Friday, May 1 at 10 a.m. and runs through Thursday, May 14 at noon, giving museum supporters 14 full days to discover and enjoy an entirely new online event experience.
To participate, head to MPMfeast.givesmart.com where you’ll glean culinary tips from some of the area’s best chefs, discover fantastic wines to enjoy, bid on silent auction items to win unique items and experiences.
The event is free and open to the public, but you can show your appreciation by making a donation to the Milwaukee Public Museum throughout the event.
Virtual cooking demos with local chefs
In place of the usual progressive dinner showcasing delicious small plate dishes in a variety of locales throughout the museum, Moveable Feast 2.0 will bring the experience alive through a series of 5 minute videos featuring local chefs preparing some of their favorite go-to comfort food dishes.
As an added bonus, the recipes and wine pairings will be available for guests who’d like to make the dishes at home.
Featured dishes will include:
- Chicken tikka masala by Chef Dave Swanson of Braise
- Pappa al Pomodoro, a Tuscan bread and tomato soup with garlic and basil by Andrew Wilson of Brandywine
- Khow Shew, a Burmese lentil and chicken soup over brown rice noodles with lemongrass essence by Chef Barkha Limbu Daily of the cheel
- Casarecce dieci alla puttanesca, a take on the classic Neapolitan pasta dish, by Chef David Magnasco of The Chef’s Table
- Halibut Provencal featuring pan-seared Halibut, Provencal sauce and seasonal produce by Chef AJ Dixon of Lazy Susan
- Braised chicken hindquarters with carrot, burnt onion, and mashed potatoes by Chef Jonathan Manyo of Morel
- Bittersweet chocolate and olive oil mousse with coffee gelee by Chef Gregory Leon of Amilinda
Ben Christansen of Waterford Wine & Spirits will also contribute a very special episode recommending a collection of great wines for you to purchase and enjoy with a variety of meals (you can also bid on a package of the featured wines in the Moveable Feast silent auction; see details below.)
Silent auction & more
Once you’ve gotten your fill, head over to check out the silent auction where you can aspire to casting the largest bid for a variety of fantastic items including:
- Behind the scenes MPM Tour
Patty Burke, Curator of Geology Collections/Senior Collections Manager, will take your group of eight behind the scenes of MPM's Geology Collection. You will get a peek at Cambrian, Ordovician, and Silurian fossils, marvel at minerals, and learn what the geology collection can tell us about the world today. (Tour to be scheduled for a mutually agreeable date and time. Date must be scheduled at least four weeks in advance.) Expires March 31, 2021.
- July 3 fireworks package
Win a unique experience for 4 (four) to view Milwaukee's famous 3rd of July Fireworks from Northwestern Mutual's "Top of the Tower" (32nd Floor) in downtown Milwaukee. Event to be held rain or shine. Note: The July 3 fireworks have been cancelled for 2020, so this package will guarantee you some of the best "seats" in town for 2021! This package includes:
- Admission and seating for four to the 2021 private party with amazing views of the lake, the city, and the fireworks on Saturday, July 3, 2021 from 6:00-10:30 p.m.;
- An upscale picnic supper catered by Shully's, plus both adult and nonalcoholic beverages;
- Reserved, covered parking across the street from the Northwestern Mutual Tower & Commons;
- Exclusive indoor seating and two outdoor balconies for fireworks viewing; and private restroom facilities.
- Moveable Feast wines
Savor wines featured by sommelier Ben Christansen in his Moveable Feast 2.0 video along with a number of additional recommendations also from Ben. This case of wines will be perfect for hosting your own wine tasting! The package includes:
- Domaine de Montbourgeau - Crémant du Jura NV
- Blanc de Morgex et de la Salle 2018
- Longridge Chardonnay 2016
- Schlosskellerei Gobelsburg Kamptal Gruner Veltiner 2018
- Hippolyte Reverdy Sancerre 2018
- Olga Raffault - Chinon Rose 2018
- Bodegas Bhilar - Rioja 2017
- Foradori Vigneti delle Dolomiti Teroldego 2016
- Sottimano Langhe Nebbiolo 2018
- Crozes-Hermitage, Etienne Becheras 2017
- Casanova Della Spinetta Il Nero Di Casanova Sangiovese 2015
- Rene Leclerc Bourgogne Rouge 2017
Be sure to show your appreciation for the museum by contributing a donation to the museum to support their mission to inspire curiosity, excite minds young and old, and increase the desire to preserve and protect our world's natural and cultural diversity.
Auction sales and donations will support the museum and its mission. But it will also support local restaurant partners, with 5% of total sales going back to participating restaurants.
For more information, visit mpm.edu/moveable-feast.
Lori Fredrich (Lo) is an eater, writer, wonderer, bon vivante, traveler, cook, gardener and girlwonder. Born and raised in the Milwaukee area, she has tried to leave many times, but seems to be drawn to this quirky city that smells of beer and alewives.
Some might say that she is a little obsessed with food. Lo would say she is A LOT obsessed with food. After all, she has been cooking, eating and enjoying food for decades and has no plans to retire anytime soon.
Lo's recipes and writing have been featured in a variety of publications including GO: Airtran Inflight Magazine, Cheese Connoisseur, Cooking Light, Edible Milwaukee, Milwaukee Magazine and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, as well as on the blog Go Bold with Butter, the web site Wisconsin Cheese Talk, and in the quarterly online magazine Grate. Pair. Share.