After a one-year hiatus, the Wisconsin State Fair is back, and they’ve released their annual list of 60 gut-busting new dishes which will be featured at this year’s Fair.
Among the new offerings, there are numerous oh-so-Wisconsin treats (from a cruller-crusted chicken sandwich to cinnamon roll and bacon cheese curds and a deep-fried pink squirrel – like the supper club drink, not the animal).
The glazed doughnut burger is back in the form of the Glazy Boy, a burger between two Grebe’s glazed doughnuts with fontina cheese, smoked pork, raspberry mustard and pickled jalapenos.
And you can even grab yourself a Gater Claw on-a-stick (a grilled alligator arm with cajun ranch sauce)
In addition, State Fair fans who can’t eat gluten will be happy to see the addition of certified gluten free cheese curds, corn dogs and funnel cake!
As usual, ALL of them are fair game for my annual State Fair food tasting extravaganza during which I eat a great many new State Fair Foods and report back to you with all the good, bad and ugly details.
Help me make my list of foods to try
For the fifth year running (we’ll just forget about 2020), I'll be reviewing at least ten of the new Wisconsin State Fair foods (if not more). I've got a small list started of things I'm interested in trying, but I'm also taking requests!
Send your suggestions for foods I should consider by messaging me on social media or emailing me at email@example.com (use subject line: State Fair Foods) on or before July 30. I'll try to include as many of your suggestions as I can. In the meantime, you can take a look back at the 15 New State Fair Foods I reviewed and ranked in 2019.
ALL the new foods at the Fair
For your convenience, here's the complete list of all the new foods at the Fair (along with where to find them). You can also find more favorite dishes using the Wisconsin State Fair Food Finder.
* notes a Sporkies finalist
- Americana Burger: 1/3 lb beef burger with American cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, topped with BBQ burger sauce on a brioche bun (Miller Lite Sports Bar & Grill, F9)
- BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potato: sweet potato loaded with pulled pork, smoked portobello mushrooms, cheese, pico de gallo, drizzled with BBQ sauce (Miller Lite Sports Bar & Grill, F9)
- Blue Ribbon Chocolate Bacon Cookies: bacon, chocolate, beer, cherries, spiced cookie (Bud Pavilion E12)
- Brandy Old Fashioned Fudge: medium chocolate fudge infused with Brandy Old Fashioned flavor (Sherwood’s Fabulous Fudge, WPP)
- Buttermilk Ranch Popcorn (Pop’s Kettle Corn, WPP)
- Buttery Prime Rib Jerky On-a-Stick: buttery prime rib in jerky form served on-a-stick (All Things Jerky, G14)
- Cajun Crawfish Nachos: tortilla chips with cheddar nacho cheese sauce, topped with Cajun seasoned crawfish tail meat, diced green onions, pico salsa, sliced jalapenÌos (Goonies Fish & Beer Shack, E10)
- Cajun Crawfish Po’ Boy Sandwich: French roll lined with crispy leaf lettuce filled with Cajun seasoned blend crawfish tail meat (Goonies Fish & Beer Shack, E10)
- Caramel Cookie Bar: cookie bar with swirls of caramel (Cream City Caramels, WPP)
- Cruller-Crusted Chicken Sandwich: broasted cruller-breaded chicken breast, topped with chipotle honey mustard, lettuce, tomato on a brioche bun (Miller Lite Sports Bar & Grill, F9)
- Cruller-Crusted Chicken Sticks: three cruller-breaded and broasted chicken tenders; served with chipotle honey mustard (Miller Lite Sports Bar & Grill, F9)
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Cheese Curd Taco: fried tortilla shell filled with grilled chicken, bacon, ranch-flavored cheese curds, topped with fresh cut iceberg lettuce, ranch dressing (Richie’s Cheese Curd Tacos, B12)
- Cherry Vanilla Cupcake: cherry vanilla cupcake topped with tart cherry frosting (WI Cherry Growers, WPP)
- Chicken Chips: chips made of chicken skins; Keto friendly (All Things Jerky, G14)
- *Cinnamon Roll and Bacon Cheese Curds: deep-fried fresh cheese curds dipped in a sweet beer batter mixed with crispy bacon, topped with cinnamon sugar, cream cheese frosting, bacon crumbles ((Slim’s Lakefront Brew Pub & Eatery, C11)
- Country Fried Steak On-a-Stick: fried 2 oz. cube steak; served with a homemade white gravy (Big Sky Country Bar & Grill, E8)
- Cranberry Cake Pop (WI Cranberry Association, WPP)
- Crawfish Taco: crawfish meat topped with Asian coleslaw on a flour taco shell (Goonies Fish & Beer Shack, E10)
- Creepy Crawly Cupcake: cupcake filled with strawberry filling with ants, topped with cotton candy flavored crickets, sour earthworms, a real edible scorpion (All Things Jerky, G14)
- Deep-Fried Cheese Curds: certified gluten-free (Auntie M’s Gluten Free, G6)
- Deep-Fried Corn Dog: certified gluten-free (Auntie M’s Gluten Free, G6)
- Deep-Fried Funnel Cake: certified gluten-free; served plain or choose strawberry & cream, apple pie, or chocolate drizzle (Auntie M’s Gluten Free, G6)
- *Deep-Fried Pineapple Express: deep-fried pineapple rings rolled in coconut, sweet panko breading with pina colada glaze, powdered sugar (Saz’s BBQ, C9)
- Deep-Fried Pink Squirrel: deep-fried pink squirrel vanilla ice cream drink cake (Water Street Brewery, D9)
- *Deep-Fried Wisconsin Fish Fry: deep-fried elements of a famous Wisconsin Fish Fry (Water Street Brewery, D9)
- The Everything Brat-zel: Johnsonville Bratwurst wrapped in pretzel dough topped with roasted garlic Everything Bagel seasoning (Gertrude’s Fresh Pretzels, B9)
- Everything Pretzel: soft pretzel with Everything Bagel seasoning (Gertrude’s Fresh Pretzels, B9)
- Garlic Parm Quesadilla: quesadilla stuffed with garlic parmesan chicken, white queso mac and cheese, bacon (Mexican Grill, G15)
- Gator Claw On-a-Stick: grilled alligator arm served on-a-stick with Cajun ranch sauce (Exotic Meat Grill, G14)
- *Glazy Boy: burger on two grilled Grebe’s glazed doughnuts, served with BelGioioso Fontina cheese, brined and slow-smoked pork loin, raspberry whole grain mustard, pickled jalapenos (Miller Lite Sports Bar & Grill, F9)
- Hot Chocolate S’more Cake: soft chocolate cake filled with gooey marshmallow with a graham crust base, drizzled with chocolate (Pistol Pete’s, F10)
- Hot Chicken n’ Waffle Fries: crispy fried boneless chicken breast tenders dipped in spicy buffalo sauce, served over seasoned crispy waffle fries, topped with garlic ranch, bacon crumbles, fries (Slim’s Lakefront Brew Pub & Eatery, C11)
- Irish Affogato: a scoop of Irish whiskey gelato doused in Nitro Cold Brew Coffee (Slim McGinn’s Irish Pub, F9)
- Irish Beef Grilled Cheese: grilled cheese stuffed with Irish beef (Slim McGinn’s Irish Pub, F9)
- Irish Coffee Sundae: Irish whiskey ice cream topped with salted coffee caramel, coffee toffee peanuts, whipped cream, coffee powder (Slim McGinn’s Irish Pub, F9)
- Jalapeno Bratwurst On-a-Stick (Robert’s, F10)
- Jon Leonard’s Whiskey Fudge: dark chocolate fudge infused with four blended Wisconsin whiskeys (Sherwood’s Fabulous Fudge, WPP)
- Klement’s Jalapeno Sausage: uncured jalapenÌo Polish sausage (Saz’s Taste of Wisconsin, B9)
- Lobster Rangoon: real lobster meat blended with sweet cream cheese wrapped in a Wonton shell (Goonies Fish & Beer Shack, E10)
- Papa Rey’s Stuffed Potatoes: Cuban stuffed potato (Tavern at the Park, F12)
- *Paradise Po’ Boy: deep-fried coconut shrimp on bun with tropical homemade slaw; served with a side of kettle chips (Tropics, B11)
- PB&J Bacon Dog: deep-fried bacon-wrapped hot dog served in between a peanut butter smothered bun with strawberry jelly-sriracha glaze (Siggy’s Wild Dogs Saloon, E10)
- *Peanut Butter Squealer: maple-infused breakfast sausage baked inside a Belgian waffle, smothered in peanut butter, topped with real bacon (Waffle Chix, G15)
- Peanut Popcorn (Pop’s Kettle Corn, WPP)
- Peppadew Olives On-a-Stick: deep-fried green queen olives stuffed with fresh garlic nestled in a peppadew pepper (Fried Fruit & Fried Olives, G12)
- Pizza Cheese Curds: deep-fried cheese curds with marinara infused beer-batter and Italian-seasoned, topped with pepperoni (Slim’s Lakefront Brew Pub & Eatery, C11)
- Pizza Poutine Waffle Fries: waffle fries topped with cheese curds, parmesan, marinara, pepperoni crumbles (Slim’s Lakefront Brew Pub & Eatery, C11)
- *Polish Puppies On-a-Stick: deep-fried hush puppies stuffed with Klement’s Jalapeno Polish, sauteed onions, sauerkraut, cheddar cheese; served with buttermilk chive dipping sauce (Saz’s Taste of Wisconsin, B9)
- Pork Bowl: a bowl filled with Bud Pavilion sidewinder fries, barbecue pulled pork, Ale House cheese sauce, bacon bits, crispy topping (Bud Pavilion, E12)
- Poutine Tacos: deep-fried flour tortillas filled with seasoned fries, fresh cheese curds, tender beef pot roast, brown gravy, topped with chives (Slim’s Lakefront Brew Pub & Eatery, C11)
- Salted Vanilla Caramel Crispie Bar: rice crispie bar with a middle layer of caramel (Cream City Caramels, WPP)
- S’more’s Bark: graham cracker, cold chocolate, marshmallow combined into a chocolate bark (Ultimate Confections, WPP and EXPO)
- Shepherd’s Pie: savory pie filled with shredded beef, carrots, onions, celery, corn, mashed potatoes, cheese, stout gravy (Slim McGinn’s Irish Pub, F9)
- Smoked Mushroom Sandwich (Miller Lite Sports Bar & Grill, F9)
- *Sorrentina Bites: deep-fried Ditalini pasta and Italian cheeses; served with vodka or marinara sauce (Albanese’s Roadhouse, C10)
- Southwest Bowl: diced ham, bacon, potato pieces, melted cheese covered with a fried egg, topped with spicy salsa in a bowl (Robert’s, F10)
- Spicy Southwest Pork Sandwich: boneless pork chop grilled and topped with jalapenos, cheese, spicy salsa (Robert’s, F10)
- Street Corn Tots: tater tots topped with grilled corn, mayo, sour cream, lime juice, spices (Knucklehead, F12)
- The Saz’s Burger: chargrilled burger with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, Thousand Island Dressing; served with sour cream & chive fries (Saz’s Miller High Life Pavilion, D9)
- Triple C Cookie Dough On-a-Stick: chocolate cookie dough loaded with chocolate chips served on-a-stick (Kora’s Cookie Dough, C13, E9)
- Ultimate Breakfast Quesadilla: quesadilla stuffed with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, hash browns, cheese, sausage gravy (Mexican Grill, G15)
- White Cheddar Bratwurst (Saz’s Taste of Wisconsin, B9)
- Wisconsin Tots: tater tots topped with brats, sauerkraut, beer cheese (Knucklehead, F12)
- Yak Mac-Attack Burger: yak burger topped with warm mac and cheese (Exotic Meat Grill, G14)
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.