In the midst of injustice, many ask "what can I do to help?" The answer to this, like every answer, is extremely personal and based on one's intentions and circumstances.
For some, the best way for them to support is through action, for others it is through donating money to organizations taking action. Both are necessary for change to occur so this can be a better city for all black/brown Milwaukeeans, a better state for all Wisconsinites, and a better country for all Americans.
Here are local organizations working for justice. If you have the desire and are in a position to donate money to help create an antiracist future, these are righteous groups to look into:
- ACLU of Wisconsin: https://www.aclu-wi.org/
- African-American Civic Engagement Roundtable: https://wisconsinvoices.org/aart/
- Ayuda Mutua MKE: https://www.facebook.com/ayudamutuamke/
- Black Leaders Organizing for Communities: https://populardemocracy.org/our-partners/black-leaders-organizing-communities
- I Will Not Die Young: http://www.iwillnotdieyoungcampaign.com/home
- Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee: https://incarceratedworkers.org/branches/milwaukee
- Leaders Igniting Transformation: https://www.litmke.org/
- Love on Black Women: https://loveonblackwomen.com/
- Metcalfe Park Community Bridges: kindest.com/donate/metcalfe-park-community-center
- Milwaukee DSA Mutual Aid Working Group: https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising/milwaukee-dsa-pandemic-mutual-aid?source=direct_link&referrer=group-milwaukee-dsa
- Milwaukee Freedom Fund: "The Fund is paused for now and the focus is on responsibly administering all the funds raised, sharing all the resources gathered, connecting people with lawyers and sharing the Bail Request link: https://bit.ly/mkebailrequest." Please help by sharing the link widely.
- Movement For Black Lives Policy Platform (national organization): https://m4bl.org/policy-platforms/
Molly Snyder started writing and publishing her work at the age 10, when her community newspaper printed her poem, "The Unicorn.” Since then, she's expanded beyond the subject of mythical creatures and written in many different mediums but, nearest and dearest to her heart, thousands of articles for OnMilwaukee.
Molly is a regular contributor to FOX6 News and numerous radio stations as well as the co-host of "Dandelions: A Podcast For Women.” She's received five Milwaukee Press Club Awards, served as the Pfister Narrator and is the Wisconsin State Fair’s Celebrity Cream Puff Eating Champion of 2019.