The coronavirus pandemic has changed our everyday life, but it doesn't need to change who we are. So, in addition to our ongoing coverage of the coronavirus, OnMilwaukee will continue to report on cool, fun, inspiring and strange stories from our city and beyond. Stay safe, stay healthy, stay informed and stay joyful. We're all in this together. #InThisTogetherMKE
These days, we could all use a little bit of a boost. And that's exactly what Screaming Tuna, 106 W. Seeboth St., is aiming for with their "9 Days of Gifts" initiative, which launches on Monday, April 20.
The pay-it-forward initiative, which was announced Saturday on Facebook, serves as both a way to celebrate the sushi restaurant's 9th anniversary and a way to express thanks to all of the loyal customers who've patronized the restaurant for the better part of the last decade.
As co-owner Cristian Vega said of the initiative. "I hope it's just something nice that can put a smile on people's faces and inspire a little good will and love at a time when it’s needed most."
How to participate
Beginning Monday, head to the Screaming Tuna Facebook page and find their daily gift post. In the comments, nominate someone who meets the criteria of the day and could use a nice surprise. Be sure to include an inspiring story about that person to brighten everyone's day.
At the end of each day, Screaming Tuna will pick one nominee to receive the gift of the day.
Here's the list of gifts they'll be giving away and the criteria for nominations.
- Day 1 (April 20): Crab wontons for you and your favorite House Party/Zoom/FaceTime friend.
- Day 2 (April 21): A signature roll for a grocery store employee.
- Day 3 (April 22): A favorite dish for a service industry employee.
- Day 4 (April 23): A $25 gift card for someone away from home who you miss dearly.
- Day 5 (April 24): A bottle of Veuve for someone who has something to celebrate, but isn't able to at this time.
- Day 6 (April 25): Sushi for two and batch cocktails for someone who missed out on an anniversary or date (first dates are encouraged to FaceTime their dates).
- Day 7 (April 26): Free ramen noodles for a week from Lil' Tuna in Mequon for a college student.
- Day 8 (April 27): $100 gift card and sake sangria for a healthcare professional or first responder.
- Day 9 (April 28): Nominate ANYONE (small business owners, teachers, parents, everyday heroes). Share why they deserve dinner at Screaming Tuna when the restaurant reopens, and they could get a dinner worth up to $100.
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.