Strega, one of the hawker stall tenants set to debut at the forthcoming 3rd Street Market Hall, will be taking over the Dairyland kitchen at the new Central Waters Brewery and Taproom, 1037 W. Juneau Ave. for a one-night pop-up event.
“The collaboration with Central Waters really came to fruition with ease,” says Katie Gabert, who owns and operates Strega alongside Sam Sandrin. “Sam and I have been bursting at the seams wanting to share various pasta dreams and once we met with Dairyland at the brewery, it didn’t take long for a menu to come together.
“Every dish will be paired with a delicious Central Waters beer, balancing a lot of rich and warming flavors from our menu. We’re looking forward to serving up some luxurious pastas, fried snacks, and holiday sweets in a really cool space.”
On the menu
During the pop-up, which will take place from 3 to 9 p.m., Strega will be serving up a menu featuring:
- Chicken liver mousse plate with fried olives, pickles and spicy chicken liver mousse ($10); pair it with a Tangerine Wheat
- Peppadew peppers stuffed with chicken liver mousse (six for $5); pair it up with White Stout
- EZ Mac Gemelli featuring twisted tube pasta, Gjetost cheddar sauce, parsley, lemon salt ($14); pair it with Places & Spaces
- Squid ink spaghetti with tomato butter, popcorn shrimp, Strega chili crisp and fish sauce balsamic ($16); pairs with Tiny Bubbles
- Mushroom ragu pappardelle with barley miso gravy and shroom dust ($14); pair it with Mudpuppy Porter
- Green Goddess spaghetti with twisted herb pasta, buttery pistou and toasted macadamias ($14); goes great with a pint of Ode
Guests can add Strega focaccia ($3) or Strega chili oil ($0.50) to any pasta order.
Don’t forget dessert
Sweets will include Molasses cake with eggnog buttercream and clove sugar ($8) and Roasted white chocolate cheesecake with almond biscotti crust and sugared plums ($8).
Get festive by pairing your dessert with Central Waters’ new Gingersnap Stout (10.5% ABV), an imperial stout infused with baking spices.
Stop in for the Strega pop-up on Tuesday, Dec. 21 from 3 to 9 p.m.
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.