There are a ton of great Milwaukee bands playing this week, Brent Gohde and I didn't get to anything near all of them in this week's podcast, but here's what we did play:
- Wooden Robot's instrumental "Cockroach Waltz" from its 2003 sel-titled CD. The band plays with Spain's David Brown on Thursday, April 5 at the Cactus Club.
- Disguised as Birds' "Hawks" from the band's self-titled 2006 disc. DAB plays at The Mad Planet on Saturday, April 7.
- Paul Cebar & the Milwaukeeans' "Grenadine," an otherwise unreleased track from the first OnMilwaukee.com Milwaukee music sampler, "OMCD_0.10," released in summer 2005. Cebar and company launch a new CD on Saturday, April 7 at Shank Hall.
- Brief Candles' "So Long," from the 2006 Latest Flame CD, "They Live We Sleep." The Candles open for Dark Horse Project Friday, April 6 at the BBC. Madison's Sleeping in the Aviary also plays.
- The Candliers' "Unsettled West," recorded in January with John Sieger, from an unreleased demo. The band plays Thursday, April 5 at Points East Pub with The Cartwrights.
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lived until he was 17, Bobby received his BA-Mass Communications from UWM in 1989 and has lived in Walker's Point, Bay View, Enderis Park, South Milwaukee and on the East Side.
He has published three non-fiction books in Italy – including one about an event in Milwaukee history, which was published in the U.S. in autumn 2010. Four more books, all about Milwaukee, have been published by The History Press.
With his most recent band, The Yell Leaders, Bobby released four LPs and had a songs featured in episodes of TV's "Party of Five" and "Dawson's Creek," and films in Japan, South America and the U.S. The Yell Leaders were named the best unsigned band in their region by VH-1 as part of its Rock Across America 1998 Tour. Most recently, the band contributed tracks to a UK vinyl/CD tribute to the Redskins and collaborated on a track with Italian novelist Enrico Remmert.
He's produced three installments of the "OMCD" series of local music compilations for OnMilwaukee.com and in 2007 produced a CD of Italian music and poetry.
In 2005, he was awarded the City of Asti's (Italy) Journalism Prize for his work focusing on that area. He has also won awards from the Milwaukee Press Club.
He can be heard weekly on 88Nine Radio Milwaukee talking about his "Urban Spelunking" series of stories.