For the second year in a row, WISN 12 received awards for "Station of the Year" and "News Operation of the Year" from the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association 2015 Awards for Excellence. In addition to the top honors on Saturday in Madison, WISN 12 was also acknowledged with 10 first-place and 10 second-place awards.
WISN 12 won first-place prizes across numerous categories including breaking news, evening newscast, sports, specialty programming, weather coverage, community outreach, and promotional announcements. The awards signify excellence in journalism and broadcasting among stations throughout Wisconsin.
"We are tremendously humbled in receiving these wonderful honors from the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association," said Jan Wade, president and general manager of WISN TV. "I am very proud of the entire Channel 12 staff," adds Wade. "They are extremely dedicated and passionate about the work they do every day. They are quite a special group."
Among the awards is recognition for breaking news coverage of a fire emergency on Milwaukee’s South Side, best evening newscast with team coverage and forecasting of a winter storm that had a significant impact on Southeastern Wisconsin, and promotion of a school supply drive helping kids in local communities. Specific honorees include Meteorologist Sally Severson for Best Weathercast, and Sports Director Dan Needles for Best Sportscast.
WISN 12 First Place Honors:
- Station of the Year
- News Operation of the Year
- Best Evening Newscast: Winter Storm Wallup
- Best Spot News: Explosions and Fire on the South Side
- Best Weathercast: Sally Severson
- Best Sportscast: Dan Needles
- Best Significant Community Impact: Class Act School Supply Drive
- Best Specialty Program: On Assignment
- Best Use of News Video: Coast Guard Training
- Best Use of Sports Video: Slope Style Skier
- Best Public Service Announcement: Class Act School Supply Drive
- Best Promotional Announcement: ‘Leading The Way’ Campaign