My annual article, 52 Restaurants for your Bucket List, was originally created to provide readers with an easy way to explore the wealth of restaurants in the Milwaukee scene over the course of one year (52 weeks). Today, as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, it provides a fun and equally compelling guide for folks who’d like to bring variety to their weekly meals while providing vital support to some of our finest local restaurants.
Here's the featured eating establishment of the day, plus five can’t miss dishes to try.
Want choices? You’ve got them, plus a liberal dose of community, at Zócalo Food Park. Relax with a drink from the tavern while enjoying a variety of dishes from the food park’s collection of food trucks. It’s a casual dining experience unlike any other in the city.
5 dishes to try:
- Vegetarian tacos with seared cheese, guacamole, tomatillo and cilantro ($2.50 each) or al pastor tacos, fiilled with adobo marinated pork that’s cooked on a trompo and crisped on the truck's flat-top grill ($2.75).
- The beef brisket arepa from Anytime Arepa ($11.50).
- The "baller" hot fried chicken sandwich from Foxfire ($9.50). Grab the charred broccoli salad alongside (trust me).
- Rosemary sea salt bagels from Ruby's Bagels (open Friday through Sunday only)
- Scratch ice cream (all their flavors are stellar), available on weekends.
Bonus: Give Modern Maki, the new sushi truck a try!
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.