Whether you’re just getting to know more about various beer styles or you’re a veteran looking to dig deeper, the new lineup of monthly Lowlands Group Bierklasses is certain to offer you food for thought.
Led by knowledgeable trained staff (and sometimes special guests), each themed class takes place at a unique location, whether it’s on a restaurant patio, rooftop deck or dining room. And every themed class features a selection of exclusive beers from around the world, some of which can only be found at Lowlands’ restaurants.
Each class features guided tastings, fascinating facts and plenty of time to get answers to your deepest, darkest questions. Classes also feature games and interactive components that are both fun and engaging.
Coming up April 12, guests can participate in ‘Tis the Saison, an interactive class that traces the historical origins of saison, a popular but often misunderstood Belgian style. This tasting will celebrate the release of the Lowlands Brewing Collaborative Seasonal Saison Series Spring 18 with Hacienda Brewing. The session will feature special guest speakers Danny and John McMahon, founders of Door County Brewing Company and Hacienda Brewing.
"We can’t wait for our guests to check out this unique lineup of Bierklasses," says Ileana Rivera, beverage director at Lowlands Group. "They’re the perfect way to try beers from both local breweries – and around the world – without ever leaving your favorite neighborhood café."
- April 12: ‘Tis the Saison Café Hollander on Downer, 7 p.m., cost is $35 [get more information or purchase tickets]
- May 4: It’s a Trap(pist!) Café Hollander in Tosa, 7 p.m., cost is $35 [get more information or purchase tickets]
- June 14: Biers of the World (Cup!), Café Bavaria, 7 p.m., cost $35 Special guest for this session will be Jon Davieson from St. Kilian Importing [get more information or purchase tickets]
- July 18: A Midsummer Night’s Bier Tasting Café Hollander in Brookfield, 8 p.m., cost is $35 [get more information or purchase tickets]
- Sept. 19: Talk Like a Piraat Café Centraal, 7 p.m. cost is $35 Special guest for this session will be Ed Kane from Global Beer [get more information or purchase tickets]
- Oct. 24: Trick or Treat Café Hollander in Tosa, 7 p.m. cost is $35 [get more information or purchase tickets]
- Dec. 19: Holiday Rarities Café Hollander on Downer, 7 p.m. cost is $35 [get more information or purchase tickets]
Love the idea of taking Bierklasse to the next level? Lowlands Group also offers private Bierklasses, which can be customized for birthday celebrations, bachelor or bachelorette parties and any number of other events.
Lori is an avid cook whose accrual of condiments and spices is rivaled only by her cookbook collection. Her passion for the culinary industry was birthed while balancing A&W root beer mugs as a teenage carhop, fed by insatiable curiosity and fueled by the people whose stories entwine with each and every dish. She’s had the privilege of chronicling these tales via numerous media, including OnMilwaukee and in her book “Milwaukee Food.” Her work has garnered journalism awards from entities including the Milwaukee Press Club.
When she’s not eating, photographing food, writing or recording the FoodCrush podcast, you’ll find Lori seeking out adventures with her husband Paul, traveling, cooking, reading, learning, snuggling with her cats and looking for ways to make a difference.