Wisconsin winters steal all the attention, but the summers in Sconnie can be intense too, bringing the heat and humidity. So it's a good time to remind you that Milwaukee County Parks has a great selection of water-based recreational opportunities – including public pools – open for the season.
Whether you test the waters first or jump right in, check out our Milwaukee public pool guide and find the perfect place to cool off this summer.
While several of Milwaukee County's public pools are closed for 2022, three of the outdoor oases opened for the summer season on Saturday, June 18. Full hours can be found at Milwaukee County Parks' website – but in all cases, hours are weather permitting, and kids age 11 and under must be accompanied by an adult 18 years or older.
- McCarty Park – 2567 S. 79th St., (414) 327-2519
- Sheridan Park – 4800 S. Lake Dr., (414) 481-4731
- Wilson Park – 4001 S. 20th St., (414) 281-4498
Prices range are $3 across the board for single visits as well as for evening swim sessions Monday through Thursday after 5:30 p.m. (Children under 2 years old and younger are free in all cases.) A season pass for unlimited entry to the outdoor pools – except for Cool Waters and Schulz Aquatic Park – costs $30 for an individual pass or $90 for a family pass up to four members, with each additional child costing $30. For more information, visit the County Parks website.
Hoyt Park/Tosa Pool, found at 1800 N. Swan Blvd., is also currently open for the season, with daily entrance costing $9 per person. (Children two and younger are free.) Open swim is available Mondays through Thursdays from 1:30-4:30 p.m., Fridays from 1:30-6 p.m., Saturdays from 1-6 p.m. and Sundays from 1-5 p.m. For more details on evening swim and season passes, click here.
Due to a lifeguard shortage, both Cool Waters and Pelican Cove are closed for 2022 season – but Schulz Aquatic Park in Lincoln Park is open for all your summer swimming fun needs!
Opened for the summer on June 11 at 1301 W. Hampton Ave., Schulz Aquatic Park is open Mondays through Fridays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. as well as Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from noon until 5 p.m. The venue also offers night swims on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-7:30 p.m.; water exercise hours on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9-10 a.m. as well as Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. until noon; lap swim hours in its two isolated lanes on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9-11 a.m. as well as Saturdays from 11 a.m. until noon; and tot time, aka pool time reserved for families with children under 7, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10-11:30 a.m.
Open swim costs $7 for Milwaukee County residents ages 12-59 and $5.25 for residents younger or older than that range. (For non-residents, open swim costs $9 and $6.) Night swim costs $5.25 across the board, while both tot time and lap swim/water exercise sessions cost $4 for all. For more information on pricing and season passes, visit the park's website.
Noyes Pool and Pulaski Pool are not available this summer season – but County Parks has teamed up with Milwaukee Recreation to offer free open swim, lap swim and lifeguard prep at several indoor locations throughout the city. For more information on those options – and how to register – click here.
Splash pads and wading pools
Many Milwaukee County Parks feature splash pads, which are free to use and generally open from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. For daily status updates, visit Milwaukee County Parks website or call the pools hotline at (414) 257-8098.
- Moody Splash Pad – 2201 W. Auer Ave., now open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Carver Splash Pad – 911 W. Brown St., now open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Dineen Splash Pad – 6901 W. Vienna Ave., now open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Gordon Splash Pad – 2828 N. Humboldt Ave., now open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Madison Splash Pad – 9800 W. Glendale Ave., now open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Milwaukee County Parks also offers several wading pool locations, open seven days a week depending on attendance and weather. (Wading pools typically open when the forecast maintains over 72 degrees during a location's posted hours.) For daily status updates, visit Milwaukee County Parks website or call the pools hotline at (414) 257-8098.
- Cooper: 8701 W. Chambers St., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Hales Corners: 5765 S. New Berlin Road, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Humboldt: 3000 S. Howell Ave., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- LaFollette: 9418 W. Washington St., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Lindsay: 4360 N. 87 St., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Sherman: 3000 N. Sherman Blvd., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Smith: 5462 N. 33 St., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wedgewood: 7201 W. Wedgewood Dr., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- West Milwaukee: 5000 W. Burnham St., 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.