My annual article, 52 Restaurants for your Bucket List, was originally created to provide readers with an easy way to explore the wealth of restaurants in the Milwaukee scene over the course of one year (52 weeks). Today, as we navigate the COVID-19 pandemic, it provides a fun and equally compelling guide for folks who’d like to bring variety to their weekly meals while providing vital support to some of our finest local restaurants.
Here's the featured restaurant of the day, plus five can’t miss dishes to try
4839 S. 2nd St., (414) 645-2606
In many ways, La Dama represents the evolution of Crazy Water, a restaurant which helped to pave the way for Walker's Point's Second Street dining scene. The menu, executed by longtime Crazy Water chef, Emanuel Corona, showcases an ever-changing menu of beautifully presented modern Mexican cuisine that weave the stories of Mexico City, Puebla and Oaxaca in every bite. Reservations recommended for dine-in. Carry-out also available.
Five dishes to try:
- Ayocotes charros: ayocotes bean stew with chorizo, jalapenos, pork belly lardons, crema agria ($6)
- Tatelas: corn masa stuffed with black bean paste, oaxacan string cheese, wild mushroom, and squash blossom, jocoque ($8) [Watch Chef Corona make these for our Quarantine Kitchen series]
- Chile en nogada: roasted poblano pepper stuffed with pork loin and asada steak, dried mission figs, pears, raisins, Pomegranate seeds, sweet walnut cream sauce ($18)
- Lamb shank birria with pasilla consome, chickpeas, onions and cilantro, chile de arbol, tortillas ($24)
- Salmon encrustado: citrus crusted salmon, golden beet puree, chapulin, toasted corn and hibiscus reduction ($20)
Lori Fredrich (Lo) is an eater, writer, wonderer, bon vivante, traveler, cook, gardener and girlwonder. Born and raised in the Milwaukee area, she has tried to leave many times, but seems to be drawn to this quirky city that smells of beer and alewives.
Some might say that she is a little obsessed with food. Lo would say she is A LOT obsessed with food. After all, she has been cooking, eating and enjoying food for decades and has no plans to retire anytime soon.
Lo's recipes and writing have been featured in a variety of publications including GO: Airtran Inflight Magazine, Cheese Connoisseur, Cooking Light, Edible Milwaukee, Milwaukee Magazine and the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, as well as on the blog Go Bold with Butter, the web site Wisconsin Cheese Talk, and in the quarterly online magazine Grate. Pair. Share.