The 2013 Milwaukee Music Awards winners were:
- Album of the Year: Volcano Choir - "Repave"
- Song of the Year: Vic & Gab - "Let You Down"
- Band of the Year: Volcano Choir
- Solo Artist of the Year: Greg Koch Band
- Catchiest Song of the Year: Boy Blue - "Downtown"
- Bandcamp Release of the Year: Kiings - Warehouses Possessed by the City
- Album Artwork of the Year: Paper Holland - Happy Belated
- Music Video of the Year: The Fatty Acids - "Airsick"
- Best Disc We Missed: Jayk - Everything Ever
- Best Live Show: Kane Place Record Club
- Music Ambassador Award (staff selection): Made In Milwaukee
"Milwaukee is fortunate to have some of the best bands anywhere, which made it hard to pick this year’s winners," said Jordan Lee, on-air personality and assistant program director at the station.
"Milwaukee’s homegrown music scene continues to grow, and we look forward to more bands like these finding big audiences here and around the country."
More than 4,000 people voted online in November to narrow each category down to five finalists, then 88Nine staffers picked the winners in each category and named a the "music ambassador award" winner.
The award winners certainly do a good job representing the diversity of Milwaukee's music scene in 2013, though I'm still scratching my head about how a band won best solo artist, but, hey, it'll get us talking, right?
Born in Brooklyn, N.Y., where he lived until he was 17, Bobby received his BA-Mass Communications from UWM in 1989 and has lived in Walker's Point, Bay View, Enderis Park, South Milwaukee and on the East Side.
He has published three non-fiction books in Italy – including one about an event in Milwaukee history, which was published in the U.S. in autumn 2010. Four more books, all about Milwaukee, have been published by The History Press.
With his most recent band, The Yell Leaders, Bobby released four LPs and had a songs featured in episodes of TV's "Party of Five" and "Dawson's Creek," and films in Japan, South America and the U.S. The Yell Leaders were named the best unsigned band in their region by VH-1 as part of its Rock Across America 1998 Tour. Most recently, the band contributed tracks to a UK vinyl/CD tribute to the Redskins and collaborated on a track with Italian novelist Enrico Remmert.
He's produced three installments of the "OMCD" series of local music compilations for OnMilwaukee.com and in 2007 produced a CD of Italian music and poetry.
In 2005, he was awarded the City of Asti's (Italy) Journalism Prize for his work focusing on that area. He has also won awards from the Milwaukee Press Club.
He can be heard weekly on 88Nine Radio Milwaukee talking about his "Urban Spelunking" series of stories.