It’s not written down anywhere, but I keep a list in my head that changes much of the time.
It’s my list of sports stuff. Some of it is things I notice that seem interesting, some of it is things I’d like to see to make things more interesting and some of it is stuff that turns out to be really uninteresting.
Here’s my list this morning:
- I used to be able to name all the starting offensive and defensive players for the Green Bay Packers and many of the backups. Now, not so much. Who is Jamari Lattimore for God’s sake? Maybe this says a lot about either the Packers injury plague or my mind.
- Why do I only like one of the three Manning quarterbacks? I love Archie. But there is something about Peyton and Eli that is just too goody-two-shoes for me. I liked Sonny Jurgensen and Ken Stabler and Brett Favre. My kind of quarterback spits, swears and sometimes even breaks curfew. Eli and Peyton must sleep with cuddle pillows. Just too clean.
- I saw a recent headline that said "Driver Cited With DUI After Causing Two-Car Crash." I immediately thought, "Please, tell me it’s not true." But this driver started with a small "d." It was not Donald. Phew!
- LeBron James wants to play in the NFL. Bring it on!
- Why do baseball managers wear uniforms? Can you imagine Mike McCarthy in football pants with pads and a jersey? Or how about George Karl in shorts and a basketball jersey? There must be a reason, but it escapes me.
- Speaking of fashion, I’ve long thought Buzz Williams should hold a seminar for other coaches on how to dress for success. The guy is a walking advertisement for classy clothing.
- I am insulted by the preseason predictions from some experts that the Bucks won’t even win 40 games. I mean, I’m truly insulted by crap like that.
- There is not one iota of thought or consideration of the Milwaukee Brewers running through my head. I’m surprised. Usually I have some measure of hot stove league all the time. Now, nothing.
- Every day a little part of me marvels at how good a player Dwyane Wade is. When he was at Marquette I always thought he was a good player, but I had no clue he’d be such a stud in the pros. Makes me feel humble.
- Try as I might, I can’t figure out how you qualify for the World Cup. I’m growing to love soccer and intend to watch every World Cup game. But I can’t figure out how you earn a berth.
- It is impossible to measure my boundless hope that Danica Patrick wins a NASCAR race soon. This is kind of like my long-held hopes for Anna Kournikova to win a tennis tournament. Never happened for Anna, but I still hold out hope for Danica.
- Every year I start the golf season hoping that Tiger Woods never wins another major. Something about him catching Jack Nicklaus just doesn’t sit right with me.
With a history in Milwaukee stretching back decades, Dave tries to bring a unique perspective to his writing, whether it's sports, politics, theater or any other issue.
He's seen Milwaukee grow, suffer pangs of growth, strive for success and has been involved in many efforts to both shape and re-shape the city. He's a happy man, now that he's quit playing golf, and enjoys music, his children and grandchildren and the myriad of sports in this state. He loves great food and hates bullies and people who think they are smarter than everyone else.
This whole Internet thing continues to baffle him, but he's willing to play the game as long as OnMilwaukee.com keeps lending him a helping hand. He is constantly amazed that just a few dedicated people can provide so much news and information to a hungry public.
Despite some opinions to the contrary, Dave likes most stuff. But he is a skeptic who constantly wonders about the world around him. So many questions, so few answers.