Potawatomi Hotel & Casino kicked off its 25th annual Heart of Canal Street campaign Aug. 9, helping serve children in southeastern Wisconsin by providing funds to local nonprofits. These organizations offer services that engage youth in the arts, provide a safe haven, promote educational growth opportunities, support the development of soft skills and encourage creativity.
The Heart of Canal Street program serves as the Casino’s signature community program and has helped enhance and improve the lives of children and their families in the region for the last quarter century. Since 1994, the program has provided more than $18 million to hundreds of area organizations.
The majority of funds are raised through the Canal Street bingo game, which also began Aug. 9, and is played during every bingo session at the Casino through Dec. 13.
In addition to the first Canal Street bingo games being played, Potawatomi Hotel & Casino is happy to announce its 10 Heart of Canal Street signature charities. Signature charities are selected by the program’s media partners.
The 10 signature charities and their corresponding media partners are:
- City Year Milwaukee, presented by Lamar Outdoor
- Danceworks, presented by OnMilwaukee
- Exploit No More, Inc., presented by iHeart Media
- Hunger Task Force, presented by Clear Channel Outdoor
- Junior Achievement of Wisconsin, presented by WITI Fox 6
- Lake Valley Camp, presented by CBS 58
- Neighborhood House of Milwaukee, presented by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- REDGen, presented by Fox Sports Wisconsin
- Walker’s Point Center for the Arts, presented by 88nine Radio Milwaukee
- The Women’s Center of Milwaukee, presented by Entercom Media
In addition to the signature charities, Potawatomi Hotel & Casino has selected Pathfinders as this year’s Charity of Choice. They will receive the first $100,000 raised during the campaign.
Twenty additional charities will also take part in the 2018 Heart of Canal Street season and will be randomly selected at an event on Nov. 13. On Dec. 17, the Heart of Canal Street fund-raising total will be announced.
To commemorate the 25th-annual campaign kick-off, representatives of Potawatomi Hotel & Casino have been delivering gifts of $2,500 to children’s charities in southeastern Wisconsin, chosen at random, this week. Delivery of those gifts, 10 total, will continue through Aug. 17.